Ryan1979
Full Member
- Joined
- Mar 8, 2007
- Messages
- 151
- Reaction score
- 1
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- St. Paul, MN
- Detector(s) used
- Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
My First CRH'ing Experience - Long Post
Well, I'd been looking and reading over all about this CRH'ing here on treasurenet, so I decided to give it a try this week on my days off. I spent my entire coin collection when I was a teenager and figured this would be a good way to start over, and to start a collection for my two kids.
I started on Thursday by going to the local US Bank where I have a personal account and an old inactive business account. It went something like this;
I approached the seated teller and politely said, "I would like to buy $50 worth of pennies."
As her jaw dropped and hit the counter, all tellers (4) turned and looked at me like I was some kind of crazed maniac bank robber, or in this case, a penny-grubbing, no good, worthless......penny hoarding robber.
Seeing the tellers' stunned looks, I thought to myself, "This can't be good."
The teller with the bruised jaw then quickly came back to her senses and muttered, "Do you have a business account with us?"
I replied that I did indeed have a business account as well as a personal account. She politely said, "Well, there's no way I can give you $50 worth of pennies, we only have $100 worth in the vault at a time, I can't spare that much, especially with the weekend coming up. It takes three days from when we order to get the coins in."
She then asked with a suspicious undertone, "What kind of business are you in?"
I then started the schmoooooozing and told her that it wasn't for a business, just coin collecting. Then after a slight pause I added, "For my kids."
She then smiled and said, "Well, I can sell you one $25 box today." I said that would be great and asked if she could spare $26 in nickels. "Sure, we have plenty of those." she said.
So off she goes to the vault for the box of pennies. About 5 minutes later she came back and got the nickels from the window teller.
She then said, "That will be $52."
Confused, I then asked if there was a charge for the coins and she says, "Nope, no charge."
Then I gently reminded her that the total should only be $51.
She says, "Oh, sorry, $51."
So I paid her and she pushed the coins across the counter to me and I thought, "Now I'm in business!!!"
After thanking her for her gracious kindness, pennies, and math skills, I agreed to give her a 3-day lead time in the future for any large orders. I also inquired as to whether she had any 1/2 dollars and she told me that you have to order them by the $1000, no exceptions.
I also learned from this teller (also the Manager) that I'm the only one she's ever heard of that does this (coin roll hunting).
So I lugged the coins out to the prisine 2000 Kia Sportage and load up for the grueling 1/2 mile drive home.
As I'm coming in the back door with my newfound treasures, my wife looks at me and disgustedly says, "Now what the hell are you up to??"
You must understand that my wife thinks I'm the biggest nerd she has ever seen in her life. When I told her I was going to go metal detecting this Spring and find buried gold and treasures she just about had a cat.
Anyway, I tell her that I'm going to start coin collecting again and she rolled her eyes and said, "My God you're a dork."
I replied with some really groovy line like, "That's why you love me baby."
And she counter-replies with, "Right."
So I then got down to the business of hunting through the rolls.
Not really knowing which pennies would be considered rare or more valuable (I don't have the Red Book yet) than the others, I decided to keep only wheat pennies and if I was lucky, Indian Heads, etc.
In the first box of $25, I found a total of 20 wheat pennies with the oldest being a 1919, the next a 1937, and the rest in the 40's and 50's.
Not bad I thought.
In the nickels, the oldest I found was a 56 with only (3) keepers being that 56, a 57, and a 58.
On Friday, I took all of the discards to a different bank and asked to cash them in for rolls of pennies.
There was no problem here at all. It surprised me that they weren't even surprised that I wanted $50 in pennies.
This is great I thought. So, the guy runs the coins through the coin counter and comes back with, "$51.94", written on a slip of paper.
"HMMMMMM", I thought. I didn't slip any more coins into the discard bag than what came out of the rolls, and actually kept 35 cents worth, so either there were more coins in the rolls or the coin counter is way off. Nice, something to remember.
He slides over (2) boxes of pennies and $1.94 in change. I briefly spoke with the manager of this bank and confirmed their rules on 1/2's as well. This bank too has a minimum order of $1,000 worth of 1/2's, with no exceptions. They also want a 3-day notice on large coin buys. "No problem", I said. And again, I am the only coin roller hunter frequenting this bank. This kind of surprised me. I expected there to be many people doing this as this area is nearly downtown and both banks were huge.
So I again trotted out to the pristine 2000 Kia Sportage with my large coin stake for the joyful ride home.
I again received the same treatment from my loving wife!!!! WHOO HOOO!!!
I started hunting and got through the first box with only about 7 or 8 wheaties, so this box wasn't nearly as good as the last from US Bank. The oldest was a 1934, if I remember correctly. I didn't get through the second box yet because I had to water the lawn and prepare myself for coming back to work........I'd much rather be going through pennies.
Overall, I think I'm going to enjoy this little hobby even more as time goes on and my collection grows.
I am going to make another post with some questions you all can help me with. I have to learn a little more to be able to find more keepers.
Ok, that's all. Til next time,
Ryan1979
UPDATE ON LAST BOX -
I got through the last box last night after work. That last one was really bad. I think I'll use the second bank as the dump bank since their totals were far less than US Bank. The totals for the three boxes of pennies were: 34 wheats, & (1) 1958 Canadian.
I'm happy with that start. I'm slowly daydreaming of nickels now......HMMMMM......"Hello friendly teller, I would like to buy $200 in nickels please."
Well, I'd been looking and reading over all about this CRH'ing here on treasurenet, so I decided to give it a try this week on my days off. I spent my entire coin collection when I was a teenager and figured this would be a good way to start over, and to start a collection for my two kids.
I started on Thursday by going to the local US Bank where I have a personal account and an old inactive business account. It went something like this;
I approached the seated teller and politely said, "I would like to buy $50 worth of pennies."
As her jaw dropped and hit the counter, all tellers (4) turned and looked at me like I was some kind of crazed maniac bank robber, or in this case, a penny-grubbing, no good, worthless......penny hoarding robber.
Seeing the tellers' stunned looks, I thought to myself, "This can't be good."
The teller with the bruised jaw then quickly came back to her senses and muttered, "Do you have a business account with us?"
I replied that I did indeed have a business account as well as a personal account. She politely said, "Well, there's no way I can give you $50 worth of pennies, we only have $100 worth in the vault at a time, I can't spare that much, especially with the weekend coming up. It takes three days from when we order to get the coins in."
She then asked with a suspicious undertone, "What kind of business are you in?"
I then started the schmoooooozing and told her that it wasn't for a business, just coin collecting. Then after a slight pause I added, "For my kids."
She then smiled and said, "Well, I can sell you one $25 box today." I said that would be great and asked if she could spare $26 in nickels. "Sure, we have plenty of those." she said.
So off she goes to the vault for the box of pennies. About 5 minutes later she came back and got the nickels from the window teller.
She then said, "That will be $52."
Confused, I then asked if there was a charge for the coins and she says, "Nope, no charge."
Then I gently reminded her that the total should only be $51.
She says, "Oh, sorry, $51."
So I paid her and she pushed the coins across the counter to me and I thought, "Now I'm in business!!!"
After thanking her for her gracious kindness, pennies, and math skills, I agreed to give her a 3-day lead time in the future for any large orders. I also inquired as to whether she had any 1/2 dollars and she told me that you have to order them by the $1000, no exceptions.
I also learned from this teller (also the Manager) that I'm the only one she's ever heard of that does this (coin roll hunting).
So I lugged the coins out to the prisine 2000 Kia Sportage and load up for the grueling 1/2 mile drive home.
As I'm coming in the back door with my newfound treasures, my wife looks at me and disgustedly says, "Now what the hell are you up to??"
You must understand that my wife thinks I'm the biggest nerd she has ever seen in her life. When I told her I was going to go metal detecting this Spring and find buried gold and treasures she just about had a cat.
Anyway, I tell her that I'm going to start coin collecting again and she rolled her eyes and said, "My God you're a dork."
I replied with some really groovy line like, "That's why you love me baby."
And she counter-replies with, "Right."
So I then got down to the business of hunting through the rolls.
Not really knowing which pennies would be considered rare or more valuable (I don't have the Red Book yet) than the others, I decided to keep only wheat pennies and if I was lucky, Indian Heads, etc.
In the first box of $25, I found a total of 20 wheat pennies with the oldest being a 1919, the next a 1937, and the rest in the 40's and 50's.
Not bad I thought.
In the nickels, the oldest I found was a 56 with only (3) keepers being that 56, a 57, and a 58.
On Friday, I took all of the discards to a different bank and asked to cash them in for rolls of pennies.
There was no problem here at all. It surprised me that they weren't even surprised that I wanted $50 in pennies.
This is great I thought. So, the guy runs the coins through the coin counter and comes back with, "$51.94", written on a slip of paper.
"HMMMMMM", I thought. I didn't slip any more coins into the discard bag than what came out of the rolls, and actually kept 35 cents worth, so either there were more coins in the rolls or the coin counter is way off. Nice, something to remember.
He slides over (2) boxes of pennies and $1.94 in change. I briefly spoke with the manager of this bank and confirmed their rules on 1/2's as well. This bank too has a minimum order of $1,000 worth of 1/2's, with no exceptions. They also want a 3-day notice on large coin buys. "No problem", I said. And again, I am the only coin roller hunter frequenting this bank. This kind of surprised me. I expected there to be many people doing this as this area is nearly downtown and both banks were huge.
So I again trotted out to the pristine 2000 Kia Sportage with my large coin stake for the joyful ride home.
I again received the same treatment from my loving wife!!!! WHOO HOOO!!!
I started hunting and got through the first box with only about 7 or 8 wheaties, so this box wasn't nearly as good as the last from US Bank. The oldest was a 1934, if I remember correctly. I didn't get through the second box yet because I had to water the lawn and prepare myself for coming back to work........I'd much rather be going through pennies.
Overall, I think I'm going to enjoy this little hobby even more as time goes on and my collection grows.
I am going to make another post with some questions you all can help me with. I have to learn a little more to be able to find more keepers.
Ok, that's all. Til next time,
Ryan1979
UPDATE ON LAST BOX -
I got through the last box last night after work. That last one was really bad. I think I'll use the second bank as the dump bank since their totals were far less than US Bank. The totals for the three boxes of pennies were: 34 wheats, & (1) 1958 Canadian.
I'm happy with that start. I'm slowly daydreaming of nickels now......HMMMMM......"Hello friendly teller, I would like to buy $200 in nickels please."
Upvote
0










