What's new

My first metal detector

rickertmork

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2024
Messages
380
Reaction score
783
Golden Thread
0
Now what do I do? Does anyone have any operating tips on this particular machine?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9231.webp
    IMG_9231.webp
    798.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9230.webp
    IMG_9230.webp
    656.6 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 2
That’s the same detector I had when I first started out! It was nostalgic to see a picture of it again. I found a decent bit of good things with it, but you’ll also end up having to dig a lot more trash compared to a detector with a more sensitive discrimination or a number read out for each target. But it will get you comfortable “digging everything” which will allow you to also find different relics and items that others might have passed up because of their discrimination of their detectors.
Stick with it long enough and you’ll have some good finds to show for your effort.
 
Last edited:
Insulting the machine , can’t even defend itself
I did not insult the detector, it is a basic, beginner detector with no bells and whistles, no manual ground balance, no noise cancel.. You asked what you do and asked for tips, I provided the manual which explains how to operate it....
 
I see someone's offended easily, I guess suggesting upgrading to a xterra pro would send them over the edge?
 
Can that one do wet sand?

Bounty Hunter Tracker will work on fresh water beach sand, it will not work on salt water beaches. Salt composed of metal minerals your detector will think there is metal everywhere. Detector does not have manual ground balance, no salt filters. You could detect above the high tide line in dry sand at salt beaches but not in wet salt sand or salt water where majority of finds are made.
 
Congrats on your first Metal Detector ! :icon_thumleft:
Read the Manual - watch YouTube video's and ask questions in this Forum.
But ... nothing will teach you more than just spending time in the field with the machine.

Good Luck & Good Hunting !
 
Can that one do wet sand?
Yes but in beach 2 and sensitivity turned down, best option would get the elite, about a hundred dollars more on Amazon currently.
 
Does anyone know a store that has those sand filter shovel things? And is it absolutely necessary to have a pinpoint detectior?
 
Does anyone know a store that has those sand filter shovel things? And is it absolutely necessary to have a pinpoint detectior?
Some folks do ok just using the basic-grab the sand/dirt and wave it in front of the coil.
I did that for 30 yrs, then I got a pinpointer and I've never looked back.

For the sand a scoop is recommended but not essential.
I just dropped to my knees and dug like a gopher using the hand digger.
Remember sometimes the K.I.S.S. method works really well.

Best of all you got a detector, go practise digging a plug in your own yard, go to the tot lots where there's sand or wood chips. The main thing is to go detecting and enjoy yourself.
 
For sand, scoop only. That's me, dirt i wouldn't want to not have a pinpointer, saves so much time and effort. Remember, you're going to spend time bent over and on your knees, minimize it.
 
Good luck with it, the best way to learn it is to just get out there and use it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom