What's new

My First Penny Box

JasonB

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
750
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Got my first penny box yesterday. I sorted $10 (20 rolls) last night. So far I have:

243 coppers including 3 wheats, 1944 being the oldest. I also came across a couple from the 70's that seem to be brilliant uncirculated. I set them aside and plan to keep them in 2" x 2" holders.

I'll try to finish it tonight and let you know the results.

Jason
 
Upvote 0
searching pennies is under rated isnt it?
 
JasonB said:
Got my first penny box yesterday. I sorted $10 (20 rolls) last night. So far I have:

243 coppers including 3 wheats, 1944 being the oldest. I also came across a couple from the 70's that seem to be brilliant uncirculated. I set them aside and plan to keep them in 2" x 2" holders.

I'll try to finish it tonight and let you know the results.

Jason


Just so you know that you will find tons of nice looking 1959-1981 coppers over time. It is like the went from mint...to bank... to store...to customer....change jar..... to bank.... to you.

-SWUSC
 
sfwusc said:
Just so you know that you will find tons of nice looking 1959-1981 coppers over time. It is like the went from mint...to bank... to store...to customer....change jar..... to bank.... to you.

-SWUSC

So when you find them like this they are still considered BU?

I've seen some pretty circulated uncirculated coins for sale on eBay.

What really is the definition of BU anyways? Somewhat circulated?
 
cali209 said:
sfwusc said:
Just so you know that you will find tons of nice looking 1959-1981 coppers over time. It is like the went from mint...to bank... to store...to customer....change jar..... to bank.... to you.

-SWUSC

So when you find them like this they are still considered BU?

I've seen some pretty circulated uncirculated coins for sale on eBay.

What really is the definition of BU anyways? Somewhat circulated?


I guess if they have no wear then they are still UNC or BU. if they have some (very little) wear, then AU

-SWUSC
 
UPDATE: Re: My First Penny Box

Yes, I think the penny boxes are underrated for sure. I had a good time with this one.

I found 583 coppers (23%) including 10 wheats and 3 Canadians.

I also continued to find some really nice BU, AU (Whatever you want to call them) '59 - '82 coppers. I separated them out from the rest.

BU = Brilliant Uncir, AU = Almost or about Uncir; right? It's a judgment call though.

This won't be my last penny box.

Jason
 
sfwusc said:
Just so you know that you will find tons of nice looking 1959-1981 coppers over time. It is like the went from mint...to bank... to store...to customer....change jar..... to bank.... to you.

-SWUSC

And lots of 1982 copper too. Don't eliminate 1982 just because it was a split year. There are lots of coppers out there from that year too.

You can do it by weight or sound. I use a Ryedale sorter, so I don't look at the date. It sorts it automatically by content.
 
I kept the '82's but that's good advice. I think I can tell by the weight now after going through a few thousand. If i'm wrong, I'm not out much later so when in doubt I keep 'em.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom