wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first relic hunt for 2019.
I went with a friend the other day to an old homestead in the middle of the suburbs that was later a dairy farm to hunt for what ever may have been lost. The site dated before 1900, but the farm was dated from 1910 thru 1970’s and has has been abandoned since. I couldn’t find the first site due to so much trash from a recent abandoned homeless camp and the tree were the homeless camp sat was the tallest and oldest tree in a quarter mile area. While the second site sits on the same property and still has part of the rock foundation exposed. The fireplace is still standing and was made out of river rock.

The first day I found a modern Stickin Lincoln around one tree and a 1929-D Wheat Cent next to the base of another tree behind the foundation. A few minutes later I found another wheat cent a few feet away from the same location as the first Wheat Cent, which I cannot get a date. We believe the coin was in a fire as parts of the remains that are either buried or sticking out of the ground showed signs that the house burned to the ground sometime ago and from what the current property owners stated. There was a large amount of iron and trash and tons of broken dishes, jars, and bottles strewn all over and even buried. That’s not including from people dumping their trash during this time period. My friend found 2 parts of a silver coin purse before we left for the day.

We returned the next day to hunt for more parts of the silver coin purse and I went off to detect around where I found the wheat cents. Half way thru the hunt I was pulling up all kinds of rusted iron to modern aluminum cans. Then I moved a large piece of metal that is part of a bumper (1970’s). I started swinging my 6” coil after spending the first part of the day with the 15” DD coil in the field. Yesterday I was using my 6” coil all day and wanted to switch to my larger coil to gain ground trying to locate were all the activity from the past may have been. As we suspected all of our finds were right behind the second homesite.

After moving the bumper I got hit and started digging and found what I thought at first was a small mason jar lid. Only to my amazement after I turned over the item to show its real identity. I saw a gear and knew right then that I just found my very first ever turn of the century pocket watch. Jumping up and down with joy I continued in the same area searching for the rest. Then about 20 minutes later and 10 feet away I found another relic.

Now I watch a lot of YouTube videos of others metal detecting from the beaches to the Deep South to the mining camps of Alaska digging up old pocket watches and other relics of such. I would have never thought I would find a pocket watch, but then I found what I thought to be a hermonica reed. Indeed it is. We ended the hunt shortly after as a storm moved in on us. This is one site that I will be returning to in the future. My friend did find another small piece to the silver coin purse but nothing else.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547406825.819040.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547406840.835527.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547406858.788758.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547406874.105512.jpg

Upvote 18

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first pocket watch and harmonica reeds have always been among my favorite finds...
keep digging, those are a good sign you are one of the first to MD the site

OP
OP
W

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first pocket watch and harmonica reeds have always been among my favorite finds...
keep digging, those are a good sign you are one of the first to MD the site

Actually it’s not virgin territory. The land owner has mentioned to use that an older guy in his late 50’s to early 60’s has been trespassing on his property in the past and leaving holes exposed everywhere with the items he dug up sitting right next to the holes. An employee of the farm that sits next to the property we hunted came up to us to check us out also mentioned that the same guy was their last month and that he had to chased him out. He knew we had permission from the land owner. They’ve been having a lot of problems with trespassers especially with the homeless people as it sits near a local popular hiking trail. From the sounds of it speaking from the employee from the farm next door that the land owner might be planning on selling the land for housing development. The land owner did confirm and said he’s thinking about it but wasn’t sure just yet.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relics...nice job! :occasion14:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a lot of harmonica reeds, some pocket knives but I'm still looking for me a pocket watch. Congrats!!! "D"

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That 'trespasser' hasn't found everything yet....

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
always somebody making it hard on us

Brendan75

Bronze Member