My first silver seated anything and a patriotic civil war token.

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to this tiny beach area yesterday. (maybe 50 feet wide.) The old Rail Road tracks used to pass right next to it. It almost looks like there was a platform or small station there. Regardless the small beach looks like it would of made a great landing site in this very historic area. As you can see below, the tracks where moved sometime in the 1940's i think. Blue circles are were the tracks use to be, and where the small platform or station was on land. The red circle is the beach area where i was hunting. On one of the present day satellite images, there are tracks drawn over where they use to be. So you can see how it moved. The green circle is up river a little bit, you can still see the supports for the old bridge. You can see them better on the 56 aerial. I was surprised how little i dug though. This place must of been hunted before.
45415FCA-3839-4116-8699-66AF4A9EE559.jpeg

Down near the low water mark (purple X) is where i found my first (old) silver. A 1853 liberty seated dime with arrows. I was pumped but I didn't dig a big enough hole in the mud and scratched it with my shovel. 😌 ughh
87B14854-C111-42C9-B7C6-3A5E299351E8.jpeg

That was all that was in the mud below the high water mark. But a little higher up on land (yellow X) i found a Civil war patriotic token. "Army and Navy, The federal union, it must and shall be preserved" This is my second one so far. The other one from a different site was the US monitor one. The history of these things are pretty cool and i love to find them.
"early in 1862 all metallic currency was gradually withdrawn from circulation. Citizens, anticipating the increase in value of all metals, started hoarding gold, silver, and even copper to such an extent, that in a short time there were no metallic coins of any denomination in circulation. Tradesmen were forced to issue a medium that would supply the place of small coins."
"They were only around for a short period from late 1862 to mid 1864. But there are over 10,000 varieties representing 22 states, 400 towns and about 1500 individual merchants. "
George and Melvin Fuld and David Powell
CA148DE4-1DEC-43B4-A44A-F142915F025A.jpeg

here is a non dug example
41A784AB-15C0-4CB9-8B54-70317E623ECD.jpeg

Upvote 52

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on your first seated. The token is a really nice recovery.
Don't wrong about the little shovel hit, it happens to most of us.
If you're not digging at the park, dig wide and deep.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on
Went to this tiny beach area yesterday. (maybe 50 feet wide.) The old Rail Road tracks used to pass right next to it. It almost looks like there was a platform or small station there. Regardless the small beach looks like it would of made a great landing site in this very historic area. As you can see below, the tracks where moved sometime in the 1940's i think. Blue circles are were the tracks use to be, and where the small platform or station was on land. The red circle is the beach area where i was hunting. On one of the present day satellite images, there are tracks drawn over where they use to be. So you can see how it moved. The green circle is up river a little bit, you can still see the supports for the old bridge. You can see them better on the 56 aerial. I was surprised how little i dug though. This place must of been hunted before.
View attachment 2095837

Down near the low water mark (purple X) is where i found my first (old) silver. A 1853 liberty seated dime with arrows. I was pumped but I didn't dig a big enough hole in the mud and scratched it with my shovel. 😌 ughh
View attachment 2095832

That was all that was in the mud below the high water mark. But a little higher up on land (yellow X) i found a Civil war patriotic token. "Army and Navy, The federal union, it must and shall be preserved" This is my second one so far. The other one from a different site was the US monitor one. The history of these things are pretty cool and i love to find them.

"early in 1862 all metallic currency was gradually withdrawn from circulation. Citizens, anticipating the increase in value of all metals, started hoarding gold, silver, and even copper to such an extent, that in a short time there were no metallic coins of any denomination in circulation. Tradesmen were forced to issue a medium that would supply the place of small coins."
"They were only around for a short period from late 1862 to mid 1864. But there are over 10,000 varieties representing 22 states, 400 towns and about 1500 individual merchants. "
View attachment 2095834

View attachment 2095835

View attachment 2095837

View attachment 2095832

View attachment 2095834

View attachment 2095835
Congrats on some recoveries. We all have gotten a little too close with the shovel sometimes. No worries

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome token! Congrats!!
thanks
Congrats on your nice token and first seated! Well done!
thank you
Nice going on your first seated. The token is a really nice recovery.
Don't wrong about the little shovel hit, it happens to most of us.
If you're not digging at the park, dig wide and deep.
thanks. whats even worse is the hole is below the high water mark, WAY below. so i could of dug the biggest crater ever and it would of just filled itself in. I think i even filled it back in myself. lol. oh well guess im use to dirt.
Both great finds, congrats
thanks
Excellent finds - congrats !
thank you
Congrats on

Congrats on some recoveries. We all have gotten a little too close with the shovel sometimes. No worries
thanks. i guess i was to confident with my pinpointing capabilities. That salt water mud/sand really is different than soil huh lol
Good job, love the civil war tokens
thanks, me too. I only got 2 so far but i like their history.
Great finds both, and love the verdigris on the token, congrats!
thanks so much. i cleaned one side pretty aggressively because i didnt know what it was yet. but there were 2 different layers of green. The beautiful darker green patina stayed after brushing, so i guess it wasn't to corroded.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2095837

View attachment 2095832

View attachment 2095834

View attachment 2095835
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post. I really like the additional graphics. To me the research is just as fun as the actual hunt. Civil War token is cool. I feel your pain with the scratch...I dug my first Liberty Head Nickle yesterday and scratched it (I like the 15" coil but still finding it a challenge to pinpoint).
Congrats on the new spot

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations!
thanks josh
I'm a sucker for seated coins...and yours is quite nice! But somehow I'm loving the token more. That's a rwally nice piece of mid-1800's history! Congrts!
thank you silvermonkey. Yes i love the token as well. Im happy that it was up on land in dirt. If it was where the seated was there probably wouldnt be anything left.
Great post. I really like the additional graphics. To me the research is just as fun as the actual hunt. Civil War token is cool. I feel your pain with the scratch...I dug my first Liberty Head Nickle yesterday and scratched it (I like the 15" coil but still finding it a challenge to pinpoint).
Congrats on the new spot
thanks so much groundhogg.(good name) i love the research to. Im rocking the stock minlab coil. 11in i think but i will be upgrading to the 17 inch. supposedly you get a couple more inches of depth.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Great work!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread