What's new

My friend, Squigmond

smokeythecat

Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
20,926
Reaction score
41,158
Golden Thread
10
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
10
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, he or she isn't actually my friend. We met east of Las Vegas a few years ago as I was touring the Valley of Fire State Park. Scared him real good! No, I didn't hurt him. IMG_0379.webp
 
Handsome Devil!
 
waiting for the next meal
 
Yes, but he or she looks awfully full. I almost stepped on it. I backed up 2 feet and leaned over and got a nice picture. It's a sidewinder BTW, and maybe 2' long. It didn't rattle, I scared it so bad. It jumped when I got close, there had been more sand covering it up, but when I scared it, most of the sand came off. When I first saw it I just saw an unusual shape in the sand, couldn't tell it was living, just a geometrical shape at which the instinctual mind said "stop"!
 
The way that rascal is positioned looks like the perfect trap
 
Bump for a friend.
 
Lol yeah.Waiting for the next meal..I hope i get it soon..Thanks MyCCPay
 
Last edited:
"Dangerous" nature at a distance becomes a harmless photo op. I was literally one step away from stepping on him.
 
You should consider changing your ways. Going around scaring snakes like that is not very nice, hopefully now he is not afraid of hiding in the sand waiting for his next victim to come by.

What is the color of Squigmond?
 
He is a lovely grey and brown. I was happy to see it and happy to not having been bitten. At first, he was barely visible. It came close to me stepping on him, but since I'm always looking where I'm stepping, my mom got me used to doing this looking for arrowheads, it kept me from a very bad afternoon.
 
As you say in America.....uh, this would be britches changing time. Lol
 
No, no friend named Lenny that I know of. There were numerous other sidewinder tracks in the park. Saw lizards and some California Quail and a Golden Eagle go by. And in a rental car, changing of the clothes would not have been cool. A small copperhead struck my shoe heel near where I live back in the late 70's. It met death by shovel. It was on the walk to my back door. Some things can be tolerated, others not so much.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom