What's new

My mind has been blown!!!!

pigeonman

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
255
Reaction score
605
Golden Thread
0
Location
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
got to see some picks from a bud who shared some finds over the years here in South Jersey Salem Co.the eagle effigy is mind blowing but the large round stone with the writing and horse and soldier/knight carved into it really took the cake.someone handed him a blank check and told him to fill it in for the large carved stone piece but he the owner turned it down. the large hand scaper is also museum quality along with the rest.any thoughts on the carved round stone object?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2753.webp
    IMG_2753.webp
    37 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2754.webp
    IMG_2754.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2755.webp
    IMG_2755.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2756.webp
    IMG_2756.webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2757.webp
    IMG_2757.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0
Take the blank check!!!!
 
thank you and me too!
 
the key looking thing is a pretty common drill.....
 
this post sure is interesting.. I'll just say the carved stone thing looks like oxidized lead or pewter and probably a button or seal of some kind.
 
That's an interesting piece (the knight) and should be relatively easy to do some research on. The thunderbird was not necessarily important to all native people, at least not the classic representation associated with the southwest. I'm not familiar with the prehistoric culture of your area. I do know it's a popular motif with modern flint knappers, and they turn out some pretty well made ones. You can usually find them for sale in tourist traps in Indian Country. Does your friend have any flint fish hooks in his collection?
 
the large round knights stone is about 12 inches round and weights close to 11 pounds. was found in a field several years ago along with the bird effigy,why would someone throw that bird effigy out in the middle of now where for some one to find? I know its hard for some to believe its real but as I said the person who found it is very trust worthy.he does have fish hooks along with tons of other objects.
 
I completely believe he has stone fish hooks
 
the large round knights stone is about 12 inches round and weights close to 11 pounds. was found in a field several years ago along with the bird effigy,why would someone throw that bird effigy out in the middle of now where for some one to find? I know its hard for some to believe its real but as I said the person who found it is very trust worthy.he does have fish hooks along with tons of other objects.

Here is another synopsis. It would be extremely difficult to convince an experienced collector. I really know nothing about them, but I do know the reaction is more or less universal by now:

Artifact Forum | Arrowheads.com :: Topic: Thunderbird & Eagle Effigies (1/1)
 
BTW, flint fishhooks, if that is what you are referring to, is another red flag to collectors, in the same category as flint thunderbirds. They are not regarded as genuine prehistoric either. No disrespect to you, you probably are simply unaware of all this. Might as well listen to the good folks here.
 
fish hooks are bone
 
and I still believe it to be REAL
 
and I still believe it to be REAL

The thing is pigeonman that there has never been a Flint Thunderbird found in a Grave, a Mound, or on any archaeological dig site. NEVER!! NEVER EVER!! NEVER EVER NEVER!!

Yet, there seems to literally be thousands of these things posted on sites. I have a book written in the 1880's that has an entire chapter about these types of pieces. The Thunderbirds, Eagles, Turtles, Buffalos, Fish Hooks, etc made from Flint were being faked as far back as 125 years ago and probably earlier than that. They were considered fake then and still are today.
 
...my grandad once bought some land in Florida sight unseen......
 
Any group of artifacts with a thunder bird in the mix I would stay clear of .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom