My Neighbor's Electrolysis Set Up. Cannon Ball "Cradle".

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Folks. A few people may be interested in my neighbor's electrolysis set up. I took a few pictures of how he managed to clean up that nasty orange iron cannonball. He uses a pretty hefty Muck Tub for big jobs as he likes to collect cast iron cookware. Dutch ovens are pretty hefty. He used the manual battery charger at 12 volts-2 amps setting while cradling the ball in a wire harness he designed to suspend the ball in the water. Pretty slick idea. He uses Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda as opposed to baking soda. He says it acts as a better conductor of current. He placed the negative contact on the steel eyebolt holding the iron ball. He placed the positive on a piece of rebar and ran a wire lead around to the opposite side of the Muck Tub to another metal thingy thus drawing the crud in two directions I guess and increasing the efficiency of the setup. Nothing too fancy really. I know I will be buying the materials to get me one set up pretty shortly. I have years of iron finds that need to take a long awaited bath. Hope this might help those who have been considering a setup and not ever getting around to building one, like ME! Adios.

002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 005.jpg

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like he has it figured out pretty well. I can see how it handle some bigger iron.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mortons salt. Nice set up, You need to check out the cleaning and preservation section for some before and afters. You have to dig the iron when hunting relics. Many orange blobs have turned into nice display pieces.
Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread