What's new

My New MXT

ConfederateGold

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi Everyone ! I'm new at this hobby but have been a member for a long time. I just bought a Whites MXT and took it out Hunting for the first time, for about 2 hours . I hit 4 different targets that all read penny or dime, and 3 were junk metal and 1 a spent bullet case. I had the MXT set on the pre sets in coin and jewelry mode. is it normal for it to be this far off on the ID ? do I need to just turn the DISC up some and or only dig high VDI numbers with half or full blocks. i just figured it would be more accurate than that. Thanks for any info ! !
 
One thing to keep in mind, when it say cent, it's within a range of VDI numbers. Same for dimes, quarters etc. Now coins for the most part will always read the same numbers. Modern nickel= 18,20. copper Cent= 78,79. zinc cent= 67 to 70. Dime= 79,80. Quarter= 83. Now, silver coins will have their own VDI numbers like a silver quarter=86. Keep in mind once the coin is past 7 or 8 inches the VDI numbers can be a little lower. So, if you are only searching for coins then you need only the numbers and the confidence blocks. You can also flip the trigger forward to block out the middle numbers which are not coins. The icons are only good for reference. Keep in mind any other metal in the ground that gives the same VDI number as a coin is going to register as a coin, however, if the object is larger or smaller than a coin the confidence block will be short. However, I can assure you if you have a VDI of 86 (silver quarter) but a short block, you will dig it up or you could miss a silver pocket watch etc. There are other things you can use to decide if you should dig, like short or long signals, depth says one inch, you raise the coil 5 inches and pinpoint and it still says one inch, it won't be a coin. My suggestion would be to learn the VDI numbers for coins but don't limit yourself to them. You could be passing up some nice finds. Actually you may want to forget the coin and jewelry mode and use the relic mode. All coins will say buttons. Even though the MXT is a simple machine there is still lots to learn. It's just like gold. It can read all over the place depending on size, shape and content. So, if you want coins they are easy to pick out once you know the numbers but if you are looking for other quality items, well, they can read anywhere depending on, once again, metal content, shape etc. One other thing, don't limit yourself to a preset gain, run it as hot as you can +1 +2 +3 as long as the threshold stay fairly stable. Also, if you are running the gain at 9 and you hear a rise and fall in the threshold, crank the gain up and re-swing, you may pull up a VDI because there is a deep target there. When you use the + numbers it's not just one more number, Its multiplying times 16 at that point. It's a bad azz machine but it's not for everybody. Just give it a fair shot, most people that do end up loving it. HH
 
Congrats on the MXT I think you will be happy with your choice. I have had mine about 6 weeks now and love it, maybe even more than My DFX (nah, I really like it too). Just remember that the VDI display is not a tell all to what is in the ground, it is only a generalization or guide. My recommendation would be to run in the relic mode as much as possible and if that gets to noisy flip the pinpoint switch forward for the alternate mode which will quiet a trashy area down. Also remember that there is a learning curve to all detectors and some are easier than others. Keep swinging it at every opportunity and you will get better and find more stuff. The cardinal rule if you want to find good stuff is to dig all the signals. It takes a lot of work to do that but it will pay off eventually.


Happy hunting and good luck

fccdfed
 
Thanks Y'all for the info on My New Mxt. I wont give up on my new whites, I've wanted one for a long time. I do plan on upgrading the coil though from the standard 950 eclipse to a 6 by 10 DD. Any other ideas on coils. Thanks again.
 
The mxt is a good detector Ivied in pressed some people with it....Let say a 1944 silver quarter at about 8",and the mxt it loved it...You'll never pass up that beep...Make sure you criss+ cross the target,wat ch your jumpy reading that are shallow. :icon_thumright:
 
Ypur gonna love the MXT. I just up graded from an M6 to the MXT Pro a couple of weeks ago and I'm really pleased with my MXT.
 
ConfederateGold said:
Thanks Y'all for the info on My New Mxt. I wont give up on my new whites, I've wanted one for a long time. I do plan on upgrading the coil though from the standard 950 eclipse to a 6 by 10 DD. Any other ideas on coils. Thanks again.

I always start out with the 6X10 on. It can handle most trashy areas and still cover ground, if it gets to bad and I still want to work the area I will use my little 4X6 DD coil and if it's clean and a large area I will put on the Super 12 or the stock 9.5
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom