My Oldest US Coin - It’s A Train-wreck!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning, I finally found a US coin from the 1700’s, 1798 to be exact, which makes this coin my oldest US coin to date.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537103714.925805.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537103731.817861.jpg

This is one of those, “if you hold it just the right way” coins, but I had multiple sets of eyes confirm that they saw the 98. It was found in the middle of an old colonial trail which might explain its dreadful condition. Nonetheless, she’s my oldest US coin!

Mike

Upvote 42
Congrats on your oldest U.S. coin. At least you can identify it.

Nice save.Congrats

wow clean that baby carefully great job

It's still a good save. Almost all of mine have come out that way too.

Great save!!!! She's not that bad!!!:occasion14:

Very nice!! I'd be happy with it

BTW, do not use chemicals or even water on it. Get a set of the Andre's pencils. I was able to clean up and save both my GW button and a few nice early coppers and buttons using them. I'll never go back to chemicals again. Aquachigger on youtube has an eye opening video on how it's done.

Love the old coppers...congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Last digit is 8...head facing right...1808 is facing left...it HAS to be 1798. Fantastic find!

Getting a definite date on any old copper is a win in my book. Most of my coppers look worse than your 1798 does! Some look okay out of the ground, but the details flake off after they dry, leaving me with just a slick coin.

Good morning, I finally found a US coin from the 1700’s, 1798 to be exact, which makes this coin my oldest US coin to date.

View attachment 1632709

View attachment 1632710

This is one of those, “if you hold it just the right way” coins, but I had multiple sets of eyes confirm that they saw the 98. It was found in the middle of an old colonial trail which might explain its dreadful condition. Nonetheless, she’s my oldest US coin!

Mike
That is not too bad... Congrats!!! I've found two draped busts and they are way more beat up! They take a good amount of imagination to see! One of them though caked with dirt promised to have some great detail. Took it home and tooth picked the obverse to reveal a smooth side. The reverse had some nice detail so I began to slowly tooth pick it and to my horror realized I was scraping the detail right off it! That is frustrating. The more coppers I find the more I realize one is lucky to get anything you can identify! It seems like sometimes the coin will retain great detail on one side and none on the other due to how it was in the ground. I found a CT copper but basically I'm gonna say I can't say for sure if I've hit the 1700's us coin mark!

Nice coin! I found a 1798 this year too and it was my first 1700's US coin

I'd take a 'Copper / LC /HC' In any condition.
Nice find indeed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back