What's new

My Serendepity

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
892
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I consider myself an incidental Arrow Head hunter. I watch for points whenever I beachcomb or metal detect. I recently opened up my case to add a few that I have found over the last year. Figured while I had it open I would share pics of my small collection. First, the most unusual one I have is a point that by the way it was knapped has a twist to it. I wonder if that added any accuracy? :laughing7:

I plan on passing my collection which was collected in the coastal SC Low Country on to my daughter.
 

Attachments

  • point4.webp
    point4.webp
    311.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Point.webp
    Point.webp
    294.7 KB · Views: 55
  • point3.webp
    point3.webp
    346.6 KB · Views: 50
  • point5.webp
    point5.webp
    209.9 KB · Views: 43
  • point1.webp
    point1.webp
    111.3 KB · Views: 52
  • point2.webp
    point2.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
That’s a skinning knife. It’s beveled for a right handed person as usual. The bevel acts like a ramp that pushes the hide away from the flesh. I’ve made them and used them for skinning. I did a coyote and one deer. I’m left handed and your knife wouldn’t work for me. I had to chip one and put the bevel on the other side for it to work. Beveling is an early archaic trait. 7500BC-6000BC. In the late 1800s, archaeologist Warren Moorhead wrote a book called “The Stone Age in North America “. In it, he calls the beveled points “rotary spears”. They believed at the time they were spear points and that the bevel caused the spear to rotate in flight. That’s nonsense and it is totally a function of skinning. Here are two that I found locally. A dovetail and a Thebes. The last pic is a right handed bevel I made and hafted. It’s only had one resharpening to start the bevel.
IMG_4022.webp
IMG_4023.webp

IMG_4024.webp
 
Last edited:
That’s a skinning knife. It’s beveled for a right handed person as usual. The bevel acts like a ramp that pushes the hide away from the flesh. I’ve made them and used them for skinning. I did a coyote and one deer. I’m left handed and your knife wouldn’t work for me. I had to chip one and put the bevel on the other side for it to work. Beveling is an early archaic trait. 7500BC-6000BC. In the late 1800s, archaeologist Warren Moorhead wrote a book called “The Stone Age in North America “. In it, he calls the beveled points “rotary spears”. They believed at the time they were spear points and that the bevel caused the spear to rotate in flight. That’s nonsense and it is totally a function of skinning. Here are two that I found locally. A dovetail and a Thebes. The last pic is a right handed bevel I made and hafted. It’s only had one resharpening to start the bevel.View attachment 2257921View attachment 2257922
View attachment 2257923
Thanks for the education!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom