🔎 UNIDENTIFIED My son found a rock of two colors…

adaniellebayer

Greenie
Jul 22, 2022
image.jpg

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The origin of most rocks are either formed by volcanic action (Igneous Rock) or sedimentary layers.

Each type can change over time by pressure and the presence or dissolved minerals that can turn to crystals.

Pressure from the earth crust on sedimentary rocks will harden the the material. Examples are sandstone, slate and limestone.

What you have there could be either sedimentary with two seperate material layers or a broken igneous rock with a crystal like light color quartz attached. Quartz is very hard and will scratch glass.

It is smooth from some erosion - Since you reference Ohio Area It was probably moved there by Glaciers.

A lot of the Ohio area sits on limestone bedrock

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't identify from your picture alone, but all of Ohio's surface geology and exposures are sedimentary. Ohio has basement rocks of both Igneous and metamorphic types but they're thousands of feet underground. The only way we know they exist is from deep well drilling.

Anything igneous or metamorphic will have been glacially (or glacial meltwater) moved from Canada, and can be found in small deposits of gravel or pebbles and cobbles, up to boulder-sized isolated erratics.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are literally thousands of tons of granite rip-rap along the banks of the Arkansas River Navigation System.Rocks like that one are pretty common to find there if you,re looking for them.My understanding is that most of the rock along the Lower sections of the River are crushed Granite from a quarry on the South edge of Little Rock where some low mountains or hills interrupt the mostly delta and lowland topography.I know absolutely nothing about geology or the makeup of the underlying strata so that,s all I got. Also more finely crushed Granite from these same quarries is used as gravel on country roads and as railroad ballast in the place of older clay gravel or washed river rock.This rock is referred to in local slang as SB-2,blue rock or Chat.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread