What's new

My Tennessee Stone Ax Head... found in 95'

Limitool

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
7,955
Reaction score
12,322
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm calling it an ax head but I totally admit I most certainly am no expert. When I was asked this morning on the other ax head thread to go find it... I did. And when I did I remembered where I found it. I found the stone I mentioned in the other ax head thread in yard but this one was back at the cave I discovered in 94'.

If this is an ax head it appears to have hit something and chipped the leading edge. There was many artifacts lying around the mouth of the cave and up and down the ridge it was on. I posted many stories and pics of this cave long ago here on Tnet. My avatar is of one of the mud mounds within the cave.

But what do you folks think.... is this an ax head you think? And if so any idea who made or possibly how old...?

AX 1 Shows leading edge chipped.
AX 2 Lying on one side
AX 3 Lying on other side
AX 4 Top view
 

Attachments

  • AX 1.webp
    AX 1.webp
    86.2 KB · Views: 439
  • AX 2.webp
    AX 2.webp
    214.3 KB · Views: 275
  • AX 3.webp
    AX 3.webp
    220.3 KB · Views: 269
  • AX 4.webp
    AX 4.webp
    136.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Upvote 21
One thing you might do is make it known the head is the real deal, that way in the future it doesn’t get confused as a fake and tossed or used carelessly and broken.
Yes sir... that is a good idea and one I hadn't thought of. I think I'll attach a small tag explaining the item. Thanks for the advise.
 
I like it. It looks nice and is a reproduction of how the original creator would have used it. For children or someone new to artifacts I think it is very helpful to get that visual.
While I TOTALLY understand your point I truly don't know if the original creator's handle was anything close to mine. But it does "show" how the tool would have been used. I'd really hate to be on the business end of it...!!!!
 
While I TOTALLY understand your point I truly don't know if the original creator's handle was anything close to mine. But it does "show" how the tool would have been used. I'd really hate to be on the business end of it...!!!!
Correct. What made me think of it was seeing things when I was little and knowing they were artifacts but unable to visualize how they were used. I’d hate to be on the business end of that too and hopefully you haven’t started some sort of treasure net hunger games.
 
Thanks CreekSide... Like all 1st time projects if you had to do over again you'd do a better job. This is one of those. Yes some liberties were taken but I had no templates to go by so I just shot from the hip. I believe it came out good enough to be a wall hanger near my pool table and a couple of bucks hanging on the wall.
Around here the 'self bow ' crowd wants to hunt with spears, but the gubbamint won't allow. You can tell stories of how you had to use the rock to collect those deer because it wasn't specifically outlawed. Hang a loin cloth off a tine to set the historical context and let people know what you do when they can't watch you :)

Back to modern times .... You did a fine job on honoring the stone tool folks.
 
I have an idea. Add handle. Build a nice display at just inside the end of your driveway facing the road. 'Sure I have a .44 mag, but that is just to slow you down. I like to finish the job with primitive hand tools like this one' ...

Not too many creepers will be coming up to the house :)

Prolly no one will steal it.
Tactical stone, I have a sweet round baseball size cobble of granite by my chair. Grandson asks what and why I told him first intruder gets this right in the head . Big eyes !
 
The amount of time to produce the handle for the head is not a small task.
The fact that this was done back then, plus forming the head was probably a very long process.
Great addition to the pool room 👌
 
The amount of time to produce the handle for the head is not a small task.
The fact that this was done back then, plus forming the head was probably a very long process.
Great addition to the pool room 👌
I agree PJ that between working the stone AND THEN mounting to a handle way back in the day was a long task. I was lucky enough to just "find" the worked stone and had some machinery to help attach it to its new "handle". It was a fun project.... and yes it lies in my pool room...!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • Handle 8.webp
    Handle 8.webp
    220.1 KB · Views: 73
That's really an odd one. It almost looks like nature may have started the shaping process, then was manually enhanced into a maul head. The other mauls posted in this thread are nicely symetrical being completely shaped by hand.
 
That's really an odd one. It almost looks like nature may have started the shaping process, then was manually enhanced into a maul head. The other mauls posted in this thread are nicely symetrical being completely shaped by hand.
This one would appear a lot more symetrical if the front end hadn't chipped for some reason.
 

Attachments

  • AX 1.webp
    AX 1.webp
    86.2 KB · Views: 56
  • AX 2.webp
    AX 2.webp
    214.1 KB · Views: 54
Well I'm calling it an ax head but I totally admit I most certainly am no expert. When I was asked this morning on the other ax head thread to go find it... I did. And when I did I remembered where I found it. I found the stone I mentioned in the other ax head thread in yard but this one was back at the cave I discovered in 94'.

If this is an ax head it appears to have hit something and chipped the leading edge. There was many artifacts lying around the mouth of the cave and up and down the ridge it was on. I posted many stories and pics of this cave long ago here on Tnet. My avatar is of one of the mud mounds within the cave.

But what do you folks think.... is this an ax head you think? And if so any idea who made or possibly how old...?

AX 1 Shows leading edge chipped.
AX 2 Lying on one side
AX 3 Lying on other side
AX 4 Top view
Maybe its a little older then the arrowhead. Definitely a pounder would smash a clam for lunch , smash a neighbor's skull for dinner. Complimented his spear.
 
I've found many axes, some beat up from use, some not.

It may sound difficult to us today to peck out an axe and ground the bit and groove, but I think it would be quicker made than we think. Especially when one has a lot of experience making them and ones life may be dependent on them for survival.

My largest axe I found was 5 LBS 9.5 OZ, 8 inches, my smallest could fit in my palm. Many in between. Just like hammers we use today, different size axes are analogous to an 8 lbs sledge to the common hammer used to pound nails. They are all tools in the user tool box. The right tool for the job.
20210321_181803.webp
1774395822017.webp


Definitely they full groove axe and from the sound of location of the find be a cave, the damage would likely be use damage rather than implement.

Here is a good link for Full Grooved Axes information

I have the Lar Hothem book on axes which I check out often. It's a good read and reference.

Good finds and look around that cave more!

1774395456946.webp
 
I've found many axes, some beat up from use, some not.

It may sound difficult to us today to peck out an axe and ground the bit and groove, but I think it would be quicker made than we think. Especially when one has a lot of experience making them and ones life may be dependent on them for survival.

My largest axe I found was 5 LBS 9.5 OZ, 8 inches, my smallest could fit in my palm. Many in between. Just like hammers we use today, different size axes are analogous to an 8 lbs sledge to the common hammer used to pound nails. They are all tools in the user tool box. The right tool for the job.
20210321_181803.webpView attachment 2248568

Definitely they full groove axe and from the sound of location of the find be a cave, the damage would likely be use damage rather than implement.

Here is a good link for Full Grooved Axes information

I have the Lar Hothem book on axes which I check out often. It's a good read and reference.

Good finds and look around that cave more!

View attachment 2248566


I have multiple Lar Hothem books, very good reference material.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom