What's new

Alibates

Chrstyd

Greenie
Joined
Jul 27, 2024
Messages
12
Reaction score
37
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hutchinson county, Texas Panhandle
Primary Interest:
Other
Found sticking up out of the ground in my pasture where I've found broke washitas, a spokeshave and a triangle arrowhead. Is this a hide scraper? You can see wear marks on the edge.

1000009047.webp
1000009040.webp
1000009039.webp
 
Upvote 7
Looks like a very nice flake. I’m not seeing where it was worked to form an actual tool. I have no trouble believing that it was intentionally flaked off by a human intending to make a tool though.
I believe you are in a great spot to find more. 👍🏼
 
Washitas, triangles, alibates you in west Oklahoma Texas area? I don’t see retouching but maybe low angle light may help if it’s there?
 
Washitas, triangles, alibates you in west Oklahoma Texas area? I don’t see retouching but maybe low angle light may help if it’s there?

Washitas, triangles, alibates you in west Oklahoma Texas area? I don’t see retouching but maybe low angle light may help if it’s there?
Texas Panhandle I'm outside of Fritch Tx 18 miles from Alibates Flint Quarry
 
Texas Panhandle I'm outside of Fritch Tx 18 miles from Alibates Flint Quarry
I’m so envious of your location. A knapper from your area sent me a box of Alibates flakes. I’ve chipped many bird points from them. That material is so beautiful and also so varied. Here’s a handful of flakes I scooped out of the box he sent. It was a large box and I still have a good supply.
IMG_9692.webp
 
I’m so envious of your location. A knapper from your area sent me a box of Alibates flakes. I’ve chipped many bird points from them. That material is so beautiful and also so varied. Here’s a handful of flakes I scooped out of the box he sent. It was a large box and I still have a good supply.View attachment 2205466
It is beautiful. I would love to see some of your bird points you knapped
 
It is beautiful. I would love to see some of your bird points you knapped
 
How big is that bad boy. Pic with quarter?
 
Those are awesome!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom