Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend was a fun one for Charlie and I. he got in lots of swimming and I was able to cover our site. While we did not find anything spectacular, we did come across a few quartzite bird points and some worked quarts pieces. Now…. I realize that many here think that I am way off base with the bird points and believe that they are natural rock formations. But, while the cell phone camera does not show it, there is a very consistent design to these (not so pretty and rather crude) points. They are all tapered evenly at the base and show notching in the shoulder area. This site was used for many thousands of years as a summer fishing campsite and the points that I recover here cover many epics. You have seen the indisputable beauties that are identifiable in Overstreet and other resources. But, in addition to those, I do find a tone of polished Gar scale points and items like these that are not identified in Overstreet. My belief is that these were made in large numbers and the owners were not at all concerned with how they looked. Seeing as how they were used to spear fish and would be lost in the river sooner than later, I believe that they were considered highly disposable items. I also included two pieces of quarts that show clear signs of having been worked but not completed. The bigger one has a sharp edge and may be a broken scraper or tool. Anyway…. Take a look and all comments (even the geofact comments) are highly welcomes. I hope that everyone had as much fun this weekend as Charlie and I did. :wink:

Attachments

• April 5 BP.jpg
    April 5 BP.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 533
  • April 5 crude  BP1.jpg
    April 5 crude BP1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 522
  • April 5 worked quartz.jpg
    April 5 worked quartz.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 522
  • April bp crude2.jpg
    April bp crude2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 515
  • April BP crude.jpg
    April BP crude.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 509
  • April crude.jpg
    April crude.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 506
  • April quartz BP1.jpg
    April quartz BP1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 509
  • April quartz BP N Charle.jpg
    April quartz BP N Charle.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 501
  • April worked quartz.jpg
    April worked quartz.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post. Nothing like a good day in the field/river/creek/overhang. The gar stuff is pretty common off the rivers in ancient refuse heaps.I have yet to see a scale turned into a point? I have shot gars with a bow but never considered the scales being used as a hunting device. Interesting. Around here most the milky quartz is found up in the mountains, I have some decent sized knifes but they all seem to be kinda rough.We always thought that being a soft medium the younger members were practicing on it .I imagine its all in the density of the stone. Its hard to tell with some quartz because of the way it flakes. It does seem to have the general appearance of being a worked or ground item though.
Enjoyed your hunt.
TnMountains

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Nice post. Nothing like a good day in the field/river/creek/overhang. The gar stuff is pretty common off the rivers in ancient refuse heaps.I have yet to see a scale turned into a point? I have shot gars with a bow but never considered the scales being used as a hunting device. Interesting. Around here most the milky quartz is found up in the mountains, I have some decent sized knifes but they all seem to be kinda rough.We always thought that being a soft medium the younger members were practicing on it .I imagine its all in the density of the stone. Its hard to tell with some quartz because of the way it flakes. It does seem to have the general appearance of being a worked or ground item though.
Enjoyed your hunt.
TnMountains

Thank you for the post TM. yea... regarding the gar Scales..... I have read that they were used as small "bird" points but am not 100% convinced of that yet. Your right on about the refuse heaps (or pits). At the summer fishing site where I find my points, I have come across one very large, old and full refuse pit and after the rains, there are many Gar Scales that get exposed on the surface. Now... the strange part about that is that many of them (maybe 20% of the ones that I find) are very very polished... or appear to be. They are very white and have a pearl like feeling to them. A couple seem to have been modified just a tad but who knows. Now.... virtually all of the gar Scales that I find are old, hard and not fresh in any way for whatever that's worth. Since (in my mind) the Jury is still out on the subject, I continue to pick them up and save them but in the end, they may just be old trash.

Thanks again and stay safe.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossil_femme said:
Yes I see from the pics that Charlie did indeed go swimming! bet u guys had a great day. :thumbsup:

I also think that bone out of catfish big would make a devastaing point.The long narrow one.
Hey you got Fossil-Femme out of the fossil section with your dog. Thats cool.
Later and HH
TnMountains

fossil_femme

Feb 21, 2009
New Mexico
[/quote]
...Hey you got Fossil-Femme out of the fossil section with your dog. Thats cool.
Later and HH
TnMountains
[/quote]

lol ;D

hi TnMtns ! i like to expand my horizons now & then...

but yeah, i'm always a sucker for a cute canine!

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinellas Man said:
I don't have anything made out of quartz. Looks like you and Charlie had a good time. I have a chocolates lab myself named Skeet.

Thank you for the comment. Now..... please please please, incorporate a photo of Skeet into a post. I LOVE Chocolates!! ;D

Pinellas Man

Sep 15, 2008
North Florida
Airborne80 said:
Pinellas Man said:
I don't have anything made out of quartz. Looks like you and Charlie had a good time. I have a chocolates lab myself named Skeet.

Thank you for the comment. Now..... please please please, incorporate a photo of Skeet into a post. I LOVE Chocolates!! ;D

Airborne the next time I show something I'll get him in the pic.

fossil_femme

Feb 21, 2009
New Mexico
Pinellas Man said:
Airborne80 said:
Pinellas Man said:

i'm looking forward to seeing him too!

maybe we need something like the "Mug Shots" section of the forum, but for dog pics ... we could call it "Mutt Shots" :laughing9:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossil_femme said:
Pinellas Man said:
Airborne80 said:
Pinellas Man said:

i'm looking forward to seeing him too!

maybe we need something like the "Mug Shots" section of the forum, but for dog pics ... we could call it "Mutt Shots" :laughing9:

Good idea but for the sake of moderators we better call it our artifacting companions or it will get moved.
I saw a show on Gars and you were right about them being used for arrowheads.That is really neat,thanks
TnMtns
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread