🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am leaving in about two weeks for Myrtle Beach and this will be my first attempt at beach hunting so need some info. I currently have a White's MXT PRO and TDI and a Garrett AT GOLD. I know the AT is not recommend for beach hunting so it will probably be left at home. I mainly hunt civil war relics so this is a new adventure for me but while on vacation why not detect. I would really like some info on machines that will work good there. I can borrow a DFX which I have used before or AT PRO. Maybe others. Will the MXT PRO work at the beach? Really could use some help for this beach first timer even though I have been metal detecting for 35 years.

Upvote 0

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
I would opt for the AT Pro. You will have no issues in the dry sand and the Pro gives you the option of experimenting in the wet sand and shallow surf. I am looking to purchase a Pro and have talked to a few people that have ran it in the wet sand and surf without issue. They stress keeping it ground balanced as you change zones, from dry sand to wet to shallow water and surf. Run parallel to the shore so you stay in each zone to make things easier. With the Pro you will not have to worry about getting the detector wet as you would with your other detectors. The MTX should work fine also in the dry sand but you will have to watch and keep it dry and clean. It also is a single frequency machine so I can't see it being any better than the AT Pro. I would use the opportunity as a learning experience. I hunted just north of there a couple of weeks ago with an older Whites, a Silver Eagle. Quite a few finds with it but it does get chatty as you start getting close to the water. Had a BHID a few years back and it worked very well and most attribute its stability to the dual frequency.

Duane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread