nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found what looks to be a Chinese coin all the way in a field in Luxembourg.
It appears to be made of Bronze.
I'm assuming it dates to somewhere in the 1800s judging from other Chinese coins I've seen online but I can't be certain.
Any help is Appreciated.

IMG_5989.jpegIMG_5988.jpegIMG_5990.jpeg
IMG_5972.jpeg

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Looks to me like a Kangxi Emperor coin which would date it from 1660s to 1720s. I don't read Chinese though, just comparing it to some I saw on the internet. I hope Yang Hao sees your thread... he'd be able to tell ya no problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like it's been in the ground for a good long time and is larger than the ones I have found. Not an exact match on the ebay items.

Don?? lol He'll chime in and tell us!

Upvote 0
Great find Congrats!

By the way, something to keep an eye out for, there is a commemorative kangxi tongbao 康熙通宝 coin. It's brass and was made in 1713 to commemorate the 60th birthday of the emperor. It's called 罗汉钱 luo han qian. Its characters are a little different in design. First the tong looks like this 通 (only has one 点儿 dian ‘ small stroke the regular one has two) and the kang looks like this 熙 (臣 part looks different it's a 口 in the middle). Below is a photo of the commemorative coin. Maybe someone will find one during a hunt. (According to website research I've done their looks to be a few versions of that special characters coin)

sources :
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/罗汉钱
https://m.sohu.com/a/196225677_99916497

coin.jpg

Attachments

• luohan.jpg
    luohan.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know there are a lot of fakes out there, and it would be interesting to know to distinguish them from real coins. I have some I've dated to the 1300's, but can't be sure they are real. Very weathered and worn, but that's no indication.

Upvote 0
Looks to me like a Kangxi Emperor coin which would date it from 1660s to 1720s. I don't read Chinese though, just comparing it to some I saw on the internet. I hope Yang Hao sees your thread... he'd be able to tell ya no problem.

Thanks a lot Noah D, Mackaydon and Yang Hao!
I guess it was a bit older than I first expected!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back