What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Mystery lead token

Urien of Rheged

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Messages
329
Reaction score
1,733
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
I've tried casually a number of times elsewhere and offline to identify these mysterious I assume tokens I came by. There where three of them two are very worn but the third is in decent enough condition to know on one side we have somekind of beast and on the other what I first thought looked like a fella in an 18th century naval hat but as I studied more realised it's more likely a Churchman than a sailor as he has a staff and I think the hat is a mitre. It would make more sense to me that these tokens are older than the 18th century as I found them less than a metre away from where I'd found 2 Edward I coins dating 1285-1299 and a number of other medieval items, buckles, spindle whorls.
Any ideas and thoughts always appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 20230321_190848.webp
    20230321_190848.webp
    313.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230321_190832.webp
    20230321_190832.webp
    219.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230408_223042.webp
    20230408_223042.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230408_223000.webp
    20230408_223000.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 86
No idea but very interesting. I reckon i may have found a couple over the years and discarded them because they were lead not realising they were tokens. I'll probably never find another one now 😆
Yeah, interesting finds there. 👍
 
Upvote 1
I believe it's the image of a bishop wearing (as you suggest) a mitre and holding (?) a crozier (staff).
Don in SoCal
Yeah my searches looked that way, my searches showed very very similar images but in bronze and other metals. I couldn't find a lead version.
But yeah, I reckon you are right there.
 
Upvote 1
Hi Urien of Rheged
What I believe you may have is a 17th Century Royalist Lead Trade Token Minted by Samuel Pepys
Minted from 1610 to 1650 for King Charles Ist.
As Copper was in short supply it was replaced by Lead.
Token as yours shows Lion Rampant on one side and it would have Backer's initial or symbol on other.

Lead Token 17th Cent.jpg
 
Upvote 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom