58.5 KB · Views: 140

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net

Some more details of context together with dimensions would be helpful, but ‘star-holes’ in rocks are a ‘thing’ and they’re found all over the place. Yours is very similar to this one, which stoked up a mystery when discovered in Volda in Norway in 2007.

Star Hole.jpg

The consensus is that these holes mostly relate to blasting (sometimes failed), quarrying, exploratory drilling and construction work from the late 1800s through to the early 1900s. An investigation by the local Norwegian newspaper (after consultation with some blacksmiths) established that they’re quite common in particular localities and it was suggested this one was likely made in the 1930s. Similar holes are found with 5, 6, 7 or more ‘points’ to the star and they’re said to relate to the use of drill heads with multiple sides.

There are numerous examples cited and pictured at “Relics of the Gods” website linked below, with an alternative explanation that they relate to ancient civilisations. Not a view that I support, but I still struggle to see how a drill bit can produce a star-shaped hole unless we’re talking about a hammer drill:

STAR HOLES

There’s some helpful discussion here about similar holes found at Flynt Quarry, Monson MA in the USA and the rifling effect that can produce the apparent points:

Stones of Northeastern U.S. - Quarry - Pentagonal & Star Holes

In one case, for a group of three holes found in Minnesota and claimed in a newspaper to have been made by Viking explorers (something else that isn’t a view I support), a local lady stepped forward and confirmed that her father had made them in 1908 during an abandoned attempt to blast some rocks for building stone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MindyRenee

Tenderfoot
Jun 13, 2020
Millard County, UT
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see, that's what stumps me. How the heck could a drill make that shape? Even more crazy, there's no tool marks AT ALL! It's like it was cut with a laser! No joke!

Upvote 0

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is it?

Chub

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see, that's what stumps me. How the heck could a drill make that shape? Even more crazy, there's no tool marks AT ALL! It's like it was cut with a laser! No joke!

Drills for rock and masonry are not always round like metal or wood drills, many are star shaped. If you google "star drill" and go to "images" you will see some examples. You may not see one that matches your hole but it is the same idea. Yours was probably made with a pneumatic drill.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread