What's new

Native American game piece?

Virginiaguy

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
40
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Virginia/Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Fischer 1266-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings to all. I had a pretty good day today........found a few points along with a square stone about the size of a dice that has different etching on four of the sides. One side has 2 lines, another 3 lines, another has crossed lines and another what I would call a starburst. The top and bottom are blank. This stone was found in the same area as the points........a recently turned farm field about 50 yards from the Shenandoah River. So........does anyone know if game pieces/dice were used by Native Americans? Any input would be appreciated. Pictures of all are below. Best to all and thanks for your feedback.
 

Attachments

  • Rock bottom.webp
    Rock bottom.webp
    537.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Rock - top.webp
    Rock - top.webp
    534.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Side one - 3 lines.webp
    Side one - 3 lines.webp
    527.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Side two - 2 lines.webp
    Side two - 2 lines.webp
    524.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Side three - crossed lines.webp
    Side three - crossed lines.webp
    527.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Side four - starburst.webp
    Side four - starburst.webp
    548.9 KB · Views: 135
  • All together.webp
    All together.webp
    680.1 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
Gun flint maybe.
 
Some nice finds , hard to tell what your mystery item is .... maybe some up close pics may help out
 
I agree that it looks like cannel coal, which is lighter than stone..........nice artifact saves.
 
Your stone is a pyrite crystal known as "Devils Dice" because of their blocky shape. They are found in VA, so your location fits. Some appear to have a natural etching on some of the sides, which may be why some of your sides are un-etched.
It may very well have been a game piece. Interesting find!
 
Rege-PA......I think you nailed it. I just did some image searches and its a virtual match to many on line images.......even with the etchings. Thanks for solving this one and thanks to the others who replied as well. Much appreciated.
 
Your stone is a pyrite crystal known as "Devils Dice" because of their blocky shape. They are found in VA, so your location fits. Some appear to have a natural etching on some of the sides, which may be why some of your sides are un-etched.
It may very well have been a game piece. Interesting find!

I learned something new, very cool info!
 
I have learned so much on this forum over the years from all of the postings......just glad I can give something back now and then.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom