Native American mystery objects

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I found all of these on a site that held a few longhouses during the mid 1600s. I'm trying to figure out what these objects might be. The horse shoe shaped objects are brass or copper and are flattened on the end. The smaller of the two appears to have an "X" stamped into the side. The other object is lead and is broken on the stem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! IMG_3184.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting. Hope somebody with a good knowledge and experience in trade objects from Contact Era sites can weigh in for you. I have quite a few trade materials from 17th century Iroquois village sites in New York, but they are all more readily recognizable: Jew's Harp, fish hooks, iron knives, lead seals, brass triangles, etc......

OP
OP
T

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Hope somebody with a good knowledge and experience in trade objects from Contact Era sites can weigh in for you. I have quite a few trade materials from 17th century Iroquois village sites in New York, but they are all more readily recognizable: Jew's Harp, fish hooks, iron knives, lead seals, brass triangles, etc......

Yeah these were all found in New York as well. I've found things more distinguishable as well. Found 5 brass points yesterday. I'm just curious about the things I don't know what they are.

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They appear to be brass kettle loops from the upper most portion of the kettle located on the rim. Kettles were also flattened to make points by Native Americans, likely what yours were made from. The lead may be a more modern sinker coincidence find or may be part of an effigy, native art from an old musketball.

OP
OP
T

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They appear to be brass kettle loops from the upper most portion of the kettle located on the rim. Kettles were also flattened to make points by Native Americans, likely what yours were made from. The lead may be a more modern sinker coincidence find or may be part of an effigy, native art from an old musketball.

You hit it spot on with the kettle loops man!! I was able to find a picture and see what you were talking about. I also found this item that I was able to determine is also part of a kettle. Thanks for the help!! IMG_3352.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions