What's new

Native American Net weight?

Beeps in my sleep

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
784
Reaction score
1,087
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a field in Lewisburg PA that has turned up several native american arrow heads ect. I was out metal detecting showing my sisters fiance and he identified this as a native american net weight. He has hundreds of artifacts and he and his father specialize in native american relics. My co workers think its nothing but lets see what you guys think. Here it is. Also it was found along the Susquehanna river in union county where there was numerous Indians and issues with settlers. Here it is BTW the new member I brought in that helped identify this goes under the screen name of indianbeeps

net weight.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
They are known as notched weights, and most assume they were used as net weights. And yes, that is exactly what you found. Here's a couple from RI. Casually made for the most part and common, as you might expect. I like finding them all the same!
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    114 KB · Views: 149
Thanks so much! He is the native american buff so I just had to bring it to you folks in the native american section. I am a detectorist and no one in the metal detecting forum would probably respond to this. So this is my first native american find ever! Even if it is common like you said. Thank you for the help Charl! :hello2:
 
Thanks so much! He is the native american buff so I just had to bring it to you folks in the native american section. I am a detectorist and no one in the metal detecting forum would probably respond to this. So this is my first native american find ever! Even if it is common like you said. Thank you for the help Charl! :hello2:

You're very welcome, keep the old eyes peeled in the fields, and it will not be your last Native American find. Congrats, notched weights are cool finds! BTW, the fact your co workers thought "nothing', but your eye and mind had hunch enough to take it home, you're a step up. Many people cannot distinguish rock from artifact, especially when it's not obvious, like a perfectly formed projectile point. So, ears attuned, eyes to the ground, 2 birds with one stone! Good luck...
 
Last edited:
Well said Charl .. and nice find sir.


ForumRunner_20131111_185952.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom