28.1 KB · Views: 543
  • pipemeasurement.jpg
    pipemeasurement.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

Locohead

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2006
I couldn't began to tell you anything about it. However, let me be the first to say it here...WOW!!!! Great find, congrats to your buddy! :)

D

diggerdood

I agree with Loco. AWESOME FIND!! (And I couldn't tell ya a thing about it either).
I did a quick search on native american pipes, clay pipes and such, and found one or two vaguely similar ones but nothing matching yours.

OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggerdood said:
I agree with Loco. AWESOME FIND!! (And I couldn't tell ya a thing about it either).
I did a quick search on native american pipes, clay pipes and such, and found one or two vaguely similar ones but nothing matching yours.

Here is what Author of a number of books on Native American Relics said:

Thanks for your email and the two pictures. From these, it appears the artifact is what is known as a Southern Great Pipe. These are typically quite large, in the effigy of some kind of bird, raised bowl on the back, stem opening in the under-tail region, and material a dark steatite or soapstone. The time period is known to be Early Woodland into Mississippian times, or somewhat after 1000 BC to AD 1600 or so, though I think the last general date is uncertain. These are found throughout much of the South and as far north as Ohio, though they are rare in this state. They are not at all common, and due to size many have been damaged by farming and construction equipment. Hope this helps. If you like, I'll be glad to send a free book catalog that has some titles on Indian pipes.

Best,

Lar Hothem

;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread