Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone! Been a long time since I've posted anything. I upgraded from an AT Pro (still have it) to an Equinox 600 and I love it... but I don't get to use it as much since I moved, and bc I had 2 kids.

I did get out this weekend to a historical house a buddy got permission to hunt - I posted everything in Today's Finds. The reason for this post is I'd like more info on the button I found.

It is a plain brass dandy button, about the size of a quarter, so I know it's 1700s, but I also know the shank can push it back further. The house was built in 1750, I'm wondering if the button is the same age as the house?
20230107_210949.jpg20230107_211018.jpg

I also found a large bridle rosette, also brass, but with some weird plating on the front under an eroded design that looks (to me) like a prancing horse. The rosette still had leather attached. I broke the loop trying to bend it back ☹️😫 a date on this would be helpful too.
20230107_211116.jpg
20230107_211126.jpg
20230107_211149.jpg

Actually, I may have gotten my answer from another post! If anyone agrees that mine looks like the 4th one, it fits with what I expected.

Attachments

• datingbuttons.jpg
    datingbuttons.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 2
Beautiful looking two-piece horse rosette likely c1875 - 1900. :thumbsup:
Your buttons eye-loop is offset, so it's definitely an early one, I'm thinking c1800 - 20.
Dave

Upvote 0
Beautiful looking two-piece horse rosette likely c1875 - 1900. :thumbsup:
Your buttons eye-loop is offset, so it's definitely an early one, I'm thinking c1800 - 20.
Dave
Really? I thought the dime-sized ones were that period. This is bigger than a quarter, and it has that same crude raised center around the base of the eye loop that the #4 image does in that reference chart. Here's more pics.
20230109_112711.jpg20230109_112717.jpg20230109_112720.jpg
20230109_112726.jpg

Upvote 1
Crusader is correct. The first photos you posted made your button appear to have a drilled shank, similar to the first pic in the button-dating chart. Your second set of photos show it actually is the 4th button in the chart. It's a White Tombac 1-piece button with "spun back" from the late 1700s.

For anybody here who doesn't already know:
White Tombac is a version of Tombac (80-to-85% copper & about 15% zinc) which also contains 1% Arsenic. The Arsenic (which is actually a metal element) changes the "brassy" alloy's color to silver-ish. The presence of the Arsenic is also why these White Tombac buttons often come out of their 250 year burial in the ground with no patina, still looking as silver-ish (dull silver) as the day they were lost. (after you wash any dirt-encrustation off with a toothbrush).

Upvote 4
Crusader is correct. The first photos you posted made your button appear to have a drilled shank, similar to the first pic in the button-dating chart. Your second set of photos show it actually is the 4th button in the chart. It's a White Tombac 1-piece button with "spun back" from the late 1700s.

For anybody here who doesn't already know:
White Tombac is a version of Tombac (80-to-85% copper & about 15% zinc) which also contains 1% Arsenic. The Arsenic (which is actually a metal element) changes the "brassy" alloy's color to silver-ish. The presence of the Arsenic is also why these White Tombac buttons often come out of their 250 year burial in the ground with no patina, still looking as silver-ish (dull silver) as the day they were lost. (after you wash any dirt-encrustation off with a toothbrush).
It's not white though. It reminds me of other brass buttons I've found. I have also found tombac buttons before and the coloring is not silvery at all (I think the bright fluorescent light is affecting how the color looks in the photo). I do agree with your assessment that it's closer to the 4th one in the chart, though, nonetheless. Thanks, Pete! Been a long time. So glad to see you're still around :)

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back