Need a suggestion please. Minelab Sov Gt. or At pro

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so a couple months back i fell into some hard times and i had to sell my at pro.
it took me a week to convince myself that i did not have time to metal detect anymore.
but i have been bitten by the bug to hard.
i was out with my ace 250 today and it was making me kind of frustrated. the readings and tones are ehhhhhh.... soso.
no comparison to the at pro..

now that i am in a point financially where i can buy another machine. i am looking at buying the Minelab Sov Gt.
i am looking for an all around detector that i can go pretty much anywhere with. i know that it is not water proof and that it does not have visual readouts.
but i do not think i have read one bad thing about the gt.
I guess im asking is it worth another 400$ ? is it the better detector . or should i go back to the at pro ?

Upvote 0
in My opinion the Sovereign is the better of the 2 , But I never used a AT Pro
I am going by My Stubborn opinion Minelab Conquers all :thumbsup:

Of course if a Meter Matters to you & your familiar with the AT Pro
you may be better off ignoring me :dontknow:

actually i am pretty set on going back to the at pro. and then buying another detector that i can hunt the beaches with . any suggestions on a beach machine ? i know everyone will say the excal . but i dont have the funds for that. somewhere around 1100 for both. maybe the at pro and a sea hunter mark 2 or a sand shark/tiger shark or whites dual surf pi ?

i read that the gt is 4x times slower at identifying targets than the at pro. that it is a better machine but you will need to swing slower to get those deep targets. just doesnt really fit my hunting style. plus im already used to the at pro.

Well i have the AT Pro and the Sovereign GT............. And it seems like i always seem to use the GT the most But then i have been using a Minelab Sovereign for over 20 years.....So that could be the reason I don't like change........ But i also like the AT....

i read that the gt is 4x times slower at identifying targets than the at pro. that it is a better machine but you will need to swing slower to get those deep targets. just doesnt really fit my hunting style. plus im already used to the at pro.
... You see i can identify a target faster with the sovereign faster than with other detectors...........And i have hunted junk filled areas and never had a problem with the Sovereign...

i am also from north east ohio. small world. any possibility of maybe checking them out someday ?

I recently got on the ATP bandwagon. I shied away from it because of my experience with the Ace series. But after forcing myself to keep using it, it has become my favorite. Like it better than the E-trac, V series, either of the Tesoros I owned and even better than my MXTP.

The Sov GT is one machine I'd like to try out. I'm a little reluctant to go in that direction because of my negative E-Trac experience and dodgy customer service stories.

You KNOW the ATP works & works well. You KNOW you won't be disappointed. You don't know the same re: the Sov GT. That said, the Sov GT is one of those machines that NEVER seems to have a bad review. Might be something to that!

It might be a matter of: Do you want to learn a new machine or stick with something you're familiar with?

If your not going into the surf nothing beats sov gt on wet or dry salt sand.

I have had one for 5 years, I have no intention of ever selling it, put a wot or large sef butterfly coil on it and it is a beach vacuum......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

im pretty sure i am going to go with the atpro. i just want to get a beach detector also. and my price range will be right around 600ish. which one ? sea hunter mark 2 ? sandshark ? tiger shark ? whites surf pi ?

im pretty sure i am going to go with the atpro. i just want to get a beach detector also. and my price range will be right around 600ish. which one ? sea hunter mark 2 ? sandshark ? tiger shark ? whites surf pi ?

Perhaps this is a question for the Beach and Shallow water forum. I have no experience with any pi machine, but hear good things about the Sandshark and Tiger shark.

Had an ATP sold it. I did try it on salt water beach with not much luck. Ground balanced at 15. Just assembled a new GT and waiting for battery to finish charging. I have a sand shark also if I decide to go over waist deep. It's a deep seeking dig everything machine which may be great if you're not time limited and have a strong back. I've decided for me discrimination was more important than depth. And I don't like screens and numbers to get distracted by. Will give GT a spin this afternoon.

Last edited:
great choice with the atpro its an all around wet and dry and whatever u want and wanna go it goes and does, im pretty sure you will not regret it ull just be saying y y didnt i do this earlier lol good luck

yea im gonna go with the at pro and a Tesoro sand shark .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back