What's new

Need advice just getting into metal Detecting.

Warner2015

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Franklin County MA
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was just given a new metal detector and i wanted to start MD with my boys. I live in Western Mass in the country. Wondering where the best locations to start my search.
 
Check out Google Earth, or go to a local detecting club meeting and join some group hunts. Check your local laws, but parks, playgrounds, etc. are usually OK. Always ask if private property. Good Luck!
 
reading_01.gif
If ya haven't already - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Massachusetts for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
 
Post on here under your area for someone who is willing to help a new guy out. Find a club and talk to the president and a couple members. I contacted a club and went out wih the president because he offered to help me out. First thing he did is go over my machine as best he could, then he showed me how to dig a plug properly. Then he went and located what he was sure were some good targets and had me come over with my machine and locate then dig them. I joined the club went to their picnic with a beach hunt and a few of their meetings. I have also done so,e networking with other members. If a club is an hour away. It would still be worth your while if they are helpful. If there arent other clubs around i would bet there are members of that club from your area.
Good luck
Gerry
 
Check out your counties historical society, local library, etc. You would be amazed what kinds of things you can find out about your local county. I recently discovered a farm located in my county that had multiple civil war generals stay on their property on multiple occasions, along with some ghost town locations.

Mass. has quite alot of history, dating back to the 1600's.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom