What's new

Need help finding information for this US entrenching type tool?

screlichunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
35
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I found this tool at a yard sale. When I cleaned the rust off, I discovered a stamp of "US 91" on the blade. I have been to the local military museum and searched in old Quarter Master's manuals and have come up short. Any help identifying this tool as original US issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20110216_105532.webp
    IMG_20110216_105532.webp
    106.5 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_20110216_105548.webp
    IMG_20110216_105548.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20110216_105555.webp
    IMG_20110216_105555.webp
    92 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_20110216_105616.webp
    IMG_20110216_105616.webp
    91.7 KB · Views: 400
Is it the size of a spoon or the size of a Cadillac El Dorado? M :dontknow: nty
 
Upvote 0
since we dont know the size here are some WAGs

at first i thought it might be a miners tool,this one not so much
http://www.bridgeporttxhistorical.org/Images/Coal Mining Tools/Picks.jpg
source
http://www.bridgeporttxhistorical.org/Pages/Bridgeport Coal Mining tools.html

so maybe a variation on this

http://www.shopping.com/True-Temper...-Inch-Hickory-Handle-1194500-True-Temper/info

this one looks pretty close and is listed as a
WWII U S PICK, MATTOCK ENTRENCHING TOOL 1944 DIAMOND
http://www.mistletoenholly.com/stor...TRENCHING-TOOL-1944-DIAMOND-390283072805.html
lg img of
http://www.mistletoenholly.com/images/store/fullsize/390283072805.jpg

this one too is listed,as WWII U S PICK, MATTOCK so not to sure
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7313234

resized some of the pics
 

Attachments

  • pick maddox tool.webp
    pick maddox tool.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the input. It measures 14" from tip to tip. The pick side is 6" long and 2" thick where the pick meets the handle. The flat blade is 3" x 4" inches. The slot for the handle is sized for an axe size handle. I have compared it to the WWII tools, but they do not match. I do appreciate all of your input. Thanks again!
 
Upvote 0
that is a WW1 or WW2 era dual ended -- pick / mottock entrenching type tool * would be my guess :read2: :thumbsup: :coffee2:

maybe US (military model of) 18(91) ? -- seems to me these things did not change a whole lot over time --even modern ones look fairly much like that .
 
Upvote 0
Cool, it looks like it is going to be US military issue. I have searched through WWI Quarter Master guide to no avail. I do appreciate all of the input. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
It looks similar to the WW2 mountain troop issue, but I'm not 100 percent. Haven't been able to find one that takes an axe handle like that....... weird ???
 
Upvote 0
I agree, it does look like the other normal issued tools but the handles are removeable. I took it by the local military museum, they offered that it could possibly be a tool design used during the construction of the Panama Canal.

I think they said that because of the US 91 marking or just to get me out of there. LOL . . . Who knows????

I do appreciate all your input.

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
heres a really crazy thought * could it be ---a spanish american war era military item ( 1899) * US military -- pick / moddox (entrenching tool) model M 91 (for the year of say 18 91*) -- thus ---US 91 --

also remember items that could be used by civilian folks were commonly sold off as "military" surplus back then just as they are now days .

many military goods makers just made a big batch of items -- and did not retool their molds for selling for the civilian market (cost money)-- so they might have "military markings" US 91 * which were required by govt contract -- but they would still happily sell any excess ones not bought by the military to the civilian population

most likely used a tapered wooden handle that when not in use could be knocked loose and removed for ease of transport -- see similar ones for WW1 & WW2 -- as these things did not change much design wize -- problem is when you look up "entrenching tools" you get the shovel type ones -- of which theres a model 1904 / 1908 /1910 and so on
 
Upvote 0
Yes, I was thinking around that era myself. Makes sense because of the US 91. I just can't autheticate it as of yet. I agree it was probably some surplus from a US military equipment manufactuer. I have a buddy trying to track down a Quarter Master's guide from that era. Again I appreciate the fine input! Thanks!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom