What's new

Need Help Identifying a Military Button

Shakakka

Hero Member
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
665
Reaction score
1,938
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

A buddy of mine found this button, and can't seem to find it in his button book. Sorry I don't have a pic of the button's back, but he drew a description of what he saw (and thinks he sees) on both sides:

button1.webpbutton2.webp

Thanks in advance for the help!
 
A picture of the back side is needed to provide a good id. Looks like possibly a left-facing lion's head on the front.
 
Upvote 0
Also it would be a big help if he were to clean the button and take one or more pics of each side.
 
Upvote 0
One more thing to help us ID your button would be the location where it was found. Not a specific location, but a general one like what country?
 
Upvote 0
If it were mine, I'd use cold peroxide and a que tip to work away some of the surface corrosion. A photo of the back to see shank construction will also help to narrow the date range.
 
Upvote 0
I'll tell me friend, see if I can get some more pics.

The button was found on Long Island, NY. Not sure how old the land was. I'm not even entirely sure it's military, I just assumed those were cannon(s)?
 
Upvote 0
I’d guess it to be a livery or family crest button, with a peacock? or stork? at the top.
 
Upvote 0
I’d guess it to be a livery or family crest button, with a peacock? or stork? at the top.

You might be right! Found these which are kinda similar:

crest1.webpcrest2.webp

The crossed cannons are probably not cannons at all, but a single chevron. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
There is a Broadhurst Street in Stockport, UK; it is located in Cheshire County (close to Manchester). This should point you in the right direction.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
1K
Replies
15
Views
1K
Replies
6
Views
838

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom