Jun 17, 2014
Central Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett A/T Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this metal detecting. The bullet is strange in that it is a 3 ringer, but it was surrounded with what appeared to be a corroded cartridge. It split apart when I pulled it from the bullet.

The button is strange in that the eagle's head faces to his left. I've only found 1 during research that happened to be a confederate button, except it had stars around it.

Attachments

• Bullet1.JPG
    Bullet1.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 70
  • bullet2.JPG
    bullet2.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Button1.JPG
    Button1.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Button2.JPG
    Button2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 62

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Without any size it's virtually impossible to identify your bullet. It needs to be measured in 1/1000 of an inch. In other words, a .457 bullet is 45 caliber. That said, the fact that there is a partial case, and the shape of the bullet suggests it might be a 45 colt long, and those date to 1873. Your bullet shape and the rotted case suggest pre 1800. That said, I have no idea if the 45 long colt has three grease grooves, so I might be all wet on that guess. Here are a couple of Colt cartridges. The one on the left is the 45 long Colt, on the right is a short. The exposed bullet shape is what I'm going on.
45 colt.jpg

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting droop winged eagle button. May we see the back please?

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say your button is a local Confederate staff officers button. Which is a rare valuable find.very very nice! I am no expert, but I am sure one will be along to shed more light on it.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say your button is a local Confederate staff officers button. Which is a rare valuable find.very very nice! I am no expert, but I am sure one will be along to shed more light on it.

I was suspecting the same but I want to see the back before making any determination.

It is in pretty good shape and I've been seeing more and more "re-enactor" items showing up at my club club meetings.

It would be a great find if it is the real deal.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jbettevy

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2014
Central Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett A/T Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, posted reply below. I'm still new at this. Thanks

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, your starless eagle-with-drooped-wings button is not a Confederate button. An EXACT match for it is shown on page 201, button 19, in the book "Uniform Buttons Of The United States 1776-1865" by Warren K. Tice. Mr. Tice identifies it as a French Army button from the 1860s reign of Napoleon III. See info on page 203 under "French Manufacturers."

About your 3-groove bullet with partial metallic casing:
As BosnMate said, we need super-precise measurement of its diameter in order to ID it with certainty. Please borrow a digital caliper to measure it across the middle, avoiding any concretion.

Does your bullet have a large cavity in its base, or is it a flat solid base?

While we wait for the body-diameter and base information... I'll make a guess based just on what can be seen in the photo. I notice that your bullet's three body-grooves are slanted like on a typical yankee 3-groove Minie-bullet. My tentative guess is that you MIGHT have found the very-slightly-postwar (late-1865) .58 cartridge for the Model-1865 "First Allin Conversion" Springfield Rifle... which was used by yankee Occupation troops during the Reconstruction era.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jbettevy

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2014
Central Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett A/T Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to get back to on the diameter, but the bullet is solid based with a smal dimple in the center, aft. I've dug a few like this that has been shot, as seen it the picture. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions