🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need help identifying my childhood treasures!

vagonbrei33

Jun 27, 2022
Hello! Been going through my childhood rock collection, trying to determine what these accumulated treasures actually are. I was able to identify most of them, but need some help on the last few. Here are the first two, for your consideration:

First is specimen 76. Found in the Appalachian mountains (likely the Carolinas). It is very adamantine, with course grains. Non-magnetic. #76 leaves a grey streak on unglazed porcelain, with a hardness between 3 and 5.5 (scratches a penny but not glass).
specimen 76-1.jpg
specimen 76-2.jpg
specimen 76-3.jpg

Next is specimen 37. Unsure where it was found, but definitely east of the Rockies in the US, possibly Oklahoma. It is very smooth, likely pulled out of a river. The bands appear to be the wearing down of the outside casing revealing the inner color, rather than bands of different minerals. It's a hefty 102g, with Specific Gravity measured at 4.43. It is strongly magnetic. #37 has a hardness of >5.5 (scratches glass), possibly greater than 7 (unless I misidentified my quartz crystals). It does not leave a streak on porcelain, scratching it instead. I was assuming magnetite or hematite, but I just can't get quartz to scratch it.
specimen 37-1.jpg
specimen 37-2.jpg
specimen 37-3.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
V

vagonbrei33

Jun 27, 2022
Welcome! And #76 looks like pyrite to me! Not sure on the other.
Thank you! Just took another look at pyrite and apparently it comes in a rainbow variety that would explain the gorgeous purples and oranges. As such I concur with pyrite and consider this specimen solved.

Anyone have any ideas on specimen #37?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread