Need help identifying potter using MP stamp

Heathbeck

Aug 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! I recently found this mug at a thrift store. I love it but would like to know more about the potter that made it. Can anyone help me identify this maker mark! It is a joined M and P. image.jpg

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your mug could be from Peter Clough Nantwich Studio. Here is his maker's mark.

NP.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Breezie's got a pretty close match to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Heathbeck

Aug 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie - thanks so much for your reply. I am concerned though, because my stamp has an extra line (making the M) that Peter Clough's stamp does not have. Does he have more than one maker mark?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're welcome. I was looking at the maker's mark sideways as pictured, and didn't see the extra line. Could you post photos of the entire mug, and perhaps a photo of the maker's mark in its upright position. Is it a new piece of pottery or an older one? Also telling us in what state you purchased it may be helpful in the ID.

Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Heathbeck

Aug 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some better pictures of the mug and maker's mark. It appears to be an older piece - I purchased it in Virginia. Thanks again for all your help!

Becky

Attachments

• MP1.jpg
    MP1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 86
  • MP2.jpg
    MP2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 143
  • MP3.jpg
    MP3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Becky,
Thanks for the photos and information. That certainly is a neat looking mug! You might want to do some research on Mountainside Pottery. In my short search, I found a couple of Mountainside Pottery companies, and I'm not sure if they're all under the same franchise or if they are different. The maker's mark of the M looked more like a 'mountain' than a M. Below are a few sites:

Fulper Clifton & More - the Art Pottery of New Jersey - ©2007 - Wisconsin Pottery Association
https://www.mountainsidepottery.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moun...2141626511?sk=photos_stream&tab=photos_albums

Breezie

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry i thought the, Marks Identification Guide - Fully Illustrated
was included in the basic free

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Heathbeck

Aug 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help cw0909.

The only thing I found online that seemed to resemble my mark was here - Vase with MP Mark. I couldn't seem to find anything else on Mary Harrison Palfrey, and the mug didn't seem to resemble any of the other Newcomb College pottery. What do you think?

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i found an img of her mark on a piece, and if that is her standard mark, it sure looks
a lot dif than the one at your link, have you looked on the inside of the handle for marks
large img
Request a condition report on this item
info
Lot Information

Thanks for the help cw0909.

The only thing I found online that seemed to resemble my mark was here - Vase with MP Mark. I couldn't seem to find anything else on Mary Harrison Palfrey, and the mug didn't seem to resemble any of the other Newcomb College pottery. What do you think?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions