What's new

Need help identifying this bullet

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this at a home site I located using historic aerials. It's just woods now but the topographic map showed a house there in the early 1900s. I can't tell How old it is. I don't see any serrated marks but it's kinda worn. It's. 44 cal and .77 long. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 20180627_211856.webp
    20180627_211856.webp
    367.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180627_211733.webp
    20180627_211733.webp
    417.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180627_211835.webp
    20180627_211835.webp
    183.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180627_211829.webp
    20180627_211829.webp
    161.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 20180627_211808.webp
    20180627_211808.webp
    205.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180627_203906.webp
    20180627_203906.webp
    200.9 KB · Views: 100
The closest one I could find is a Colt for Army revolver.
 
Upvote 0
According to the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" (by brothers Jim & Dean Thomas) your bullet is a civil war era .44-caliber US Watervliet Arsenal bullet for .44 revolvers. Your measurement of its length at .77-inch means it is bullet #10-A in that book.
 
Upvote 0
According to the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" (by brothers Jim & Dean Thomas) your bullet is a civil war era .44-caliber US Watervliet Arsenal bullet for .44 revolvers. Your measurement of its length at .77-inch means it is bullet #10-A in that book.

Thank you. That is exciting to hear. I was not expecting to find that at this location. my research only showed that there was an early 1900s homesite there. Although there were 2 roads which were near this site during the Civil War going from City Point to Petersburg. It is also located on the edge of a hillside with a creek very nearby so it is very possible they passed thru here or possibly even camped in the area.
 
Upvote 0
cda3decb6de75f9212acf240a7fbcb26.webp

Hope this helps. Congrats.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom