What's new

Digstock XII Finds

JustOneMorePlug

Full Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
177
Reaction score
937
Golden Thread
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the long post in advance. Just wanted to share my experience at Digstock. I really didn’t know what to expect going in. I had a great time meeting new people and just enjoying the outdoors. I was honestly surprised by how many people showed up. I met folks from Canada and all over the United States. I even made a new friend from Virginia who invited me to hunt his property for Civil War relics later this year! Unfortunately, I had to cut the trip short and head home a day early.

Day 1 – Check-In
I drove in that morning and really enjoyed the trip through the countryside. It was great seeing all the historical houses along the way. 20260305_094133.webp

I arrived a little early, so I stopped by the historical marker for the Battle of Boones Mill where the confederates were attacked while bathing naked!
20260305_111952.webp20260305_114322.webp
I drove around for a while to get a feel for the area and came across a bald eagle feeding on a carcass. I managed to get a nice picture of him before heading to check-in. When I got there, the line was extremely long.

20260305_105730.webp20260305_105635.webp20260305_124627.webp

Day 2 – First day of digging.

The only real item of interest I found was a boot heel plate with a heart cutout. At first I had no idea what it was until someone explained it to me. They told me that “ladies of the night” supposedly wore them on their boots so they would leave heart-shaped impressions in the dirt, giving men something to follow to find them. Pretty interesting story!
I also found what appears to be a musical reed and a toe tap. I believe the reed is too thick to be from a harmonica. Most of my hunting that day was in the wooded areas, and like most hunts, I ended up digging the usual trash — shotgun shells, bullets, and other random metal.

20260306_132738.webp20260309_201646.webp20260306_130401.webp

Day 3 - Second day of digging.

I checked out a few homesites in the woods. I ended up finding three modern pennies and a gear of some kind. I spent most of the day in the fields digging quite a bit of can slaw and junk. I also found an interesting Ball Company bottle at a abandoned house on the side of the field.
20260309_180824.webp20260309_180820.webp20260309_180852.webp20260309_210927.webp
20260306_063029.webp
With only about three hours left to hunt and after digging so much trash, I was starting to get a little discouraged. I decided to head to different homesite that was marked on the map they provided. While looking at historical aerial imagery, I noticed another homesite in an adjacent field that wasn’t marked. I decided to check it out, and it gave me a little renewed hope. I ended up finding a buckle, a horse rein guide, some broken pottery, and what looked like a piston from a motor. I also found two brass rings about ten feet apart, along with a 1917 wheat penny and a 1918 wheat penny.20260309_211234.webp

Overall, I had a great time and really enjoyed the experience. Looking back, there are definitely a few things I would have done differently. Even though I didn’t find anything spectacular myself, there were tons of incredible finds being pulled out of the ground all weekend — Spanish reales, Barber halves, Seated quarters and dimes, bust dimes, and plenty of other great relics.
!20260309_180738.webpScreenshot_20260309_212620_Gallery.webp

I learned a lot from the other hunters, met some great people, and gained some new opportunities for future hunts! Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • 20260306_063029.webp
    20260306_063029.webp
    741.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20260306_094002.webp
    20260306_094002.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Upvote 23
Great finds and post! I think you did good, the rings alone and the toe tap are awesome! Sorry we didn't meet up, but I did look for you. Maybe next time! Congratz!
 
Great finds and post! I think you did good, the rings alone and the toe tap are awesome! Sorry we didn't meet up, but I did look for you. Maybe next time! Congratz!
Thank you, It's all good! Definitely next time. Congrats again on the buckle!
 
Based on what I've read so far, the general consensus from the hunt was the woods were kind of a bust, due to all the shotgun shells and bullets. The problem with hunting that much land is where the heck to go! Helps to know where old homesites were, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Farmers were usually land rich and cash poor, so you're not going to find too many coins. The thrill of the hunt is what makes it worth it, though. The fact that you might find something amazing drives us all during events like this one.
 
Based on what I've read so far, the general consensus from the hunt was the woods were kind of a bust, due to all the shotgun shells and bullets. The problem with hunting that much land is where the heck to go! Helps to know where old homesites were, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Farmers were usually land rich and cash poor, so you're not going to find too many coins. The thrill of the hunt is what makes it worth it, though. The fact that you might find something amazing drives us all during events like this one.
There were cobs found from the 1600’s , lots of 1700’s, probably a dozen reals, cut silver, KGs, and at least a hundred 1800 coins. The relics were incredible. Colonial stuff, Rev War swag, slave era artifacts, and my buddy Chris even scored a CS buckle. The woods did yield some goodies, but a lot of us took to the forest because of the cooler hunting. Not much shade, but better than melting in the fields. My oldest find was a flat button in the woods. There were at least 100 sites that were thoroughly researched, and most people found really good keepers.
But yes, I agree with you…. I’m over the shotgun stamps and bullets thing. Hate them.
 
On the snoopy side/ Just how much was the Digstock 12 ?
 
On the snoopy side/ Just how much was the Digstock 12 ?
$235 ... plus getting there and accommodations. If I sold the buckle I could more than pay for it (from what I've been told by a few people) but that ain't going to happen.
 
Thank you The beep for your reply :)
'
 
Sorry for the long post in advance. Just wanted to share my experience at Digstock. I really didn’t know what to expect going in. I had a great time meeting new people and just enjoying the outdoors. I was honestly surprised by how many people showed up. I met folks from Canada and all over the United States. I even made a new friend from Virginia who invited me to hunt his property for Civil War relics later this year! Unfortunately, I had to cut the trip short and head home a day early.

Day 1 – Check-In
I drove in that morning and really enjoyed the trip through the countryside. It was great seeing all the historical houses along the way. View attachment 2246929

I arrived a little early, so I stopped by the historical marker for the Battle of Boones Mill where the confederates were attacked while bathing naked!
View attachment 2246933View attachment 2246932
I drove around for a while to get a feel for the area and came across a bald eagle feeding on a carcass. I managed to get a nice picture of him before heading to check-in. When I got there, the line was extremely long.

View attachment 2246930View attachment 2246931View attachment 2246934

Day 2 – First day of digging.

The only real item of interest I found was a boot heel plate with a heart cutout. At first I had no idea what it was until someone explained it to me. They told me that “ladies of the night” supposedly wore them on their boots so they would leave heart-shaped impressions in the dirt, giving men something to follow to find them. Pretty interesting story!
I also found what appears to be a musical reed and a toe tap. I believe the reed is too thick to be from a harmonica. Most of my hunting that day was in the wooded areas, and like most hunts, I ended up digging the usual trash — shotgun shells, bullets, and other random metal.

View attachment 2246938View attachment 2246942View attachment 2246940

Day 3 - Second day of digging.

I checked out a few homesites in the woods. I ended up finding three modern pennies and a gear of some kind. I spent most of the day in the fields digging quite a bit of can slaw and junk. I also found an interesting Ball Company bottle at a abandoned house on the side of the field.
View attachment 2246944View attachment 2246945View attachment 2246946View attachment 2246948
View attachment 2246951
With only about three hours left to hunt and after digging so much trash, I was starting to get a little discouraged. I decided to head to different homesite that was marked on the map they provided. While looking at historical aerial imagery, I noticed another homesite in an adjacent field that wasn’t marked. I decided to check it out, and it gave me a little renewed hope. I ended up finding a buckle, a horse rein guide, some broken pottery, and what looked like a piston from a motor. I also found two brass rings about ten feet apart, along with a 1917 wheat penny and a 1918 wheat penny.View attachment 2246949

Overall, I had a great time and really enjoyed the experience. Looking back, there are definitely a few things I would have done differently. Even though I didn’t find anything spectacular myself, there were tons of incredible finds being pulled out of the ground all weekend — Spanish reales, Barber halves, Seated quarters and dimes, bust dimes, and plenty of other great relics.
!View attachment 2246952View attachment 2246954

I learned a lot from the other hunters, met some great people, and gained some new opportunities for future hunts! Thanks for looking!
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom