Need help on Oklahoma point

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi guys! Buckshot and I got to walk a creek today and found more flakes than we ever have. I was enjoying that, but he kept saying there has to be something here. About the time I was saying you know they always say on TNet, if there's flakes keep looking, there's probably a point. Buckshot said "Insitu!" Pretty dang cool if you ask me. It's got a funny twist to it, I hope the last picture shows that. He's looking at the Overstreet book, and thinks it might be neosho. What do y'all think? I feel like it's Kay county chert, and it has a fossil in it that i don't know if the picture shows. It was a good three hours of hunting, found two old dump sites also. Thanks for looking. Has it been re-worked?

naturegirl

Attachments

• bills point1.jpg
    bills point1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 296
  • billspoint2.jpg
    billspoint2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 291
  • billspoint3.jpg
    billspoint3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 289
  • billspoint4.jpg
    billspoint4.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't answer your questions, NG, but I can say 'Keeewwwwllll Find!

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
It is a little hard to tell from the picture to be sure what the material is but it does appear to be Kay County and you are correct on the artifact type. Nice find!

11KBP

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the answers, sorry for the pictures, they aren't great. We can't find any pictures online of neoshos, does anyone have a link? Kay county chert was kind of a given, that's where it was found. It's Just too much fun to find something like this. Now I have a question about the word "torque" as it applies to points. Is it the narrowing of the edges a little up from the notches, or is it the twist that this one has? We're confused about that.

ng

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Yes, it's a Neosho, which is Harahey variant named for the Grand/Neosho waterway here. They are your original buffalo skinning knives, used throughout late prehistoric to early historic times. The material is heated Florence 'A' variety, what some people call Kay Co. The whitish/grey fossiliferous permian chert that you find there is the Florence 'B'.

The "torque" on your piece is from beveling. It's a resharpening technique used by many different cultures (but primarily early archaic). Beveling is when they take very small flakes on the edge of the blade, one face only on each side - as opposed to more conventional methods of flaking to the center, or on both sides per surface. Beveling is more or less a method of preserving material for a longer time, while still maintaining the sharp edge.

In your area Naturegirl, the more common beveled pieces you may find are Harahey variants, Dalton, Rice, White River and maybe a Searcy on occasion.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks Neanderthal, I get it now about the torqueing. I thought the grey flakes with fossils were Florence D, I was close, but this one only has one little fossil, and is pink overall. We found several flakes of the B type, but predominatly the flakes we found were pink-tan. Now where are those points that all those flakes produced? It was neat, we learned a few things. We kept finding Florence A chert chunks, buttersotch color, sometimes these were bi-colored butterscotch/red, red/pink, some were all the way a dark red. We wondered if they had been heat treated by people, or nature. We found a burnt spot, obviously a tree from a recent fire, with ashes, and a pile of reddish chert right where the fire must have been, so we got out answer, wildfires must also change the color of the chert? They're were also pieces that had obviously exploded. Really a fun day.

Harahey, ok, thanks a direction to go.

naturegirl

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point and insitu, naturegirl! We just had 1 1/2" of rain this morning so I'm gonna have to go check all the gravel bars ;D!
regards~~sandcreek

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
naturegirl said:
Thanks Neanderthal, I get it now about the torqueing. I thought the grey flakes with fossils were Florence D, I was close, but this one only has one little fossil, and is pink overall. We found several flakes of the B type, but predominatly the flakes we found were pink-tan. Now where are those points that all those flakes produced? It was neat, we learned a few things. We kept finding Florence A chert chunks, buttersotch color, sometimes these were bi-colored butterscotch/red, red/pink, some were all the way a dark red. We wondered if they had been heat treated by people, or nature. We found a burnt spot, obviously a tree from a recent fire, with ashes, and a pile of reddish chert right where the fire must have been, so we got out answer, wildfires must also change the color of the chert? They're were also pieces that had obviously exploded. Really a fun day.

Harahey, ok, thanks a direction to go.

naturegirl

The colorful red flakes of Florence that you're finding are heat treated. The treating alters the chert and makes it much more knappable (as well as aesthetics). Wildfires can heat treat some cherts, but more often than not it breaks or pops it into unusable pieces. Also, it often only effects the outer parts of the material. When intentionally heat treating, you bed the material and bring it up slowly to a specific degree to get rid of any moisture in the stone and keep it from blowing apart, etc. Frequently you will see artifacts that have been heated, then knapped/reduced, and then heated again to make it even more usable.

Florence is nice stuff! You will also find Foreacre, Woodford, Keokuk, Reeds, Wreford, Niabrara (and other Jaspers) with some frequency where you are.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Funny you should say it's nice stuff, I was thinking about it on the way home from work. We have such a huge amount of sandstone and limestone, that the flint has a strong attraction, 'cause it's different The lack of grain in it, it's "creamy". Thank for the names of the other types, I'll have to learn more about them. Yeah we learned about Florence exploding when we heated a big chunk with a torch. Yes I had on a face shield, yes rocks will explode. We knew the Indians didn't use torches, but we just wanted to see the color change, and it did turn a dark red. Thanks for the info.

ng

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread