jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A neighbor of mine was told by an old gentleman who stopped by his house,that he had buried a jar or can of coins next to a large spruce tree in the back yard.He was positive on the tree but was not positive on what they were buried in.This older gentleman was 12 when he buried the coins and is now in his 80s.I have been given the OK to do what i need to do to try and locate these coins.I am using an MXT, i have several coils.I have done a little around the tree and there is a lot of small nails and iron.My plan is to dig everything.Any input would be APREICATED.Any ideas on what type of signal or reading to look for. ???

K

Kentucky Kache

You don't know what type of container the coins are in, so it sounds like you don't have much choice but to dig everything. You should get some good experience out of it.

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
i agree--dig all hits 'cause you KNOW it there somewhere so it's worth the extra effort. find out if the old gentleman said anything about possible depth. use a probe to assist in identifying targets. HAVE FUN!!! and find it--cool.

LD :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The probe sounds like a good idea. Otherwise you have to dig and remove all signals because they could possibly mask the signal you are looking for anyway.

I would say if placed in a tin can it has now rusted away after 70 years in freeze and thaw ground so the type of container whether glass or tin would not be much of an issue.

GG~

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Twelve years old... Should not be very deep. Still, all metal and dig everything. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
Twelve years old... Should not be very deep. Still, all metal and dig everything. :thumbsup:

With out a doubt use all metal mode. :thumbsup:
If still no luck get out the big coil and listen for faint signals in case it was buried deep.

GG~

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!
I am assuming when your talking about a probe you mean a bottle probe(metal rod on a handle).I will try that.Was also going to rake back the top layer to expose the more compacted soil.May get me a little more depth.Thanks again.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
I would think that a jar or can of coins, should give you a pretty solid "hit", when you pass over it.

I dug up an old electrical box in our back yard, and it seemed to be down about 10"-12".
I found that with my White's Eagle Spectrum. Your XLT should do just as well. ;D

TW

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been able to get back there yet.Also the owner has been out of town.Will post if i find any thing.

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a cache last year - REALLY weak signal - about foot and a half down - two glass coffee jars stuffed w/ plastic bags of change and some cash (cash had major water damage) from about 25-30 years ago - I think it was some homeless guys savings.
Point is I think depending on what the cache is hidden in, it could mask your signal.
But hell, if you know it's there......

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would use a normal size coil and using all metal mode dig everything. If nothing yet i would adjust to your biggest coil, turn up your sensitivity as much as possible and use a slow sweep speed and try the area again with the best headphones you can get. be prepared that it is possibly covered with roots now so when probing it might get interesting.

Good Luck,
Nova Treasure

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
It may be near a different tree than the one he pointed out. I would try all the trees
and look for the largest signal. If you have a two box detector it should ignore most
nails, coins etc. and only hit the larger target.
Also he may have dug it up and forgotten about recovering it. There were some tough
times in the last 68 years.
Rich

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
mile-ender said:
I dug a cache last year - REALLY weak signal - about foot and a half down - two glass coffee jars stuffed w/ plastic bags of change and some cash (cash had major water damage) from about 25-30 years ago - I think it was some homeless guys savings.
Point is I think depending on what the cache is hidden in, it could mask your signal.
But hell, if you know it's there......

here in the u.s.a. we can get it replaced, do u have that option there
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2001/06/2001-06-03-money.htm

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
Hi Jog.

Try to borrow a 2box detector, it wont pick up the small trash signals but should pic up the cache.

HH

jose

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will a depth multiplier work or should it be a two box?

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I have a Compass Depth Doubler, the one that charges up the ground and increases
the depth capability of any detector. It will increase the signal strength of ALL targets
including junk, nails, pulltabs as well as large targets.
I think your MXT should find your target easily, and I am assuming that the top of the
target is only 12-18 inches deep. Probably that would require a hole of two feet or
so and most people wouldn't dig any deeper than that. A post hole digger would go
deeper, but then the target would be harder to recover when the time comes.
The reason for using a two box detector in your case is not for depth, it is to eliminate
all the small targets. Back to what I said, use the MXT and look for a large target.
Get something the same size and see what the signal sounds like. Check the whole yard
and you should find it. If not, my guess is that someone (like the guy who put it there) has already recovered it. I have looked for quart jars of silver coins and an old shotgun
at two different yards where the family was sure that they were there, and sure enough
they were not to be found. Treasure is elusive. Good luck, Rich

the

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would search in Disc.
but with it turned to accept everything.
This way you can remove most of the signals.
After that Either turn to
All metal Or dig all the nulls
left over. then turn to all metal.

Definately dig everything.

as said earlier If in tin, & coins
& the Tin rotted away
You may get a good solid hit.

But If the tin is still deteriorating,
you may get a broken signal at best.

If in Canning Jars You'll get it in Disc
Easy

Use the coil you Know the most.
Then if you still havn't found it after Cleaning the site
out. Upgrade to the Next coil size larger.

good Luck !

tagasilay

Jun 27, 2005
Hi Jog,

my 2box is a tf900, but i know of garrett having a depth multiplier that converts some of their detectors to a two box configuration. It replaces the standard coil with a transmitter and reciever antenna in the front and back, this would be a real 2box configuration.

God bless,

jose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread