Need help--opinions needed

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disclaimer: I know very little about glass.

Yall in the Bottle & Glass forum have been a great resource in the past, and I need your help again.

This piece of glass was found at a Native American site on the James River here in Virginia that I've been picking over for quite a while now. While I almost threw it into the woods when I initially found it, I held onto it because it looked as though someone attempted to knap something out of it, though it's a stretch. To me, the glass looks too clear to be contact-period old, but my knowledge of the quality of old glass is limited. Looks maybe to be the bottom of a jar with that little pattern of bumps being on the flat side of the piece. This caught my interest because the bottom of the jar would've been most desirable to knap.

Anyways, is there any indication to yall of how old this is? Or is this just a tractor headlight?

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
There is no doubt that NA used glass fragments as well as whole bottles. Your fragment appears to be molded glass which suggests it dates to post-1800. Here's a tool from the Early 1800s of Florida:

scraperbottleglass.JPG

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool--thanks Harry! All the NA were gone from my area by then. Thanks for the knowledge.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like the bottom of a fairly large jar, post-1903, judging from not only the stippling, but what looks like an Owens scar running between two of the rows of dots. I'd guess around 1930-1960.

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I have some learning to do--thanks sandchip. Appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread