Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings All,
I'm having an issue with my control unit on my XP Deus 1, and could use some guidance.

I purchased my XP Deus in 2018, and have logged about 1200 hours. On my last couple of hunts my control unit screen goes blank after only 1.5 hours of operation on a full charge. The only thing that remains on the screen is the battery icon showing a mostly depleted battery. I can continue using the machine without a functional control unit, but I'm assuming that is due to the headphones linking directly to the coil ...is that even possible? At any rate this problem is quite annoying. When the control unit is charging, there appears to be a snug connection. However even when charging overnight, the charging icon continues to flash "charging" in the morning. It never shows that the charging cycle has been completed. I tried switching to a new set of charging cables, but that hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what's going on here? Is my unit so old that I need to have the internal battery replaced? Could this be a loose connection inside the unit? Is there any fix I can try at home before sending the unti in to be repaired?

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Scott

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you need the battery replaced in the control unit since it's four years old with 1200 hours of running. And yes, even with the control unit off the headphones will still be linked with the coil allowing you to continue using the detector. Good luck, whatever the cause turns out to be.

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Emil for the feedback. I think you are right on with your diagnosis. As a kid I grew up in NJ, and enjoyed lots of fishing trips on the Deleware River with my grandfather. Great state!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're welcome. It's the 1200 hours of use that makes me think it's the battery, which would be better than a loose internal connection since battery replacement's straight forward, compared with having to having the control unit diagnosed and then repaired since you'd certainly want to have the battery replaced anyway once it's opened up. At least that's my thinking, which isn't worth much.

I've lived in NJ all my life. It gets a bad rap but it's proximity to NYC, Philly and the shoreline alone make it a great place to live, although expensive. I think many think of the opening from The Sapranos, with all the refineries up north when picturing NJ. As you know, the majority of the state looks nothing like that small section and most of NJ's population have probably never even seen that area in person--it's like another world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread