Need help!! Unidentified eagle, possibly military hatpin?

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Hunted a home in Virginia dating to the late 1700s. The owner's family have lived there since 1830, and there was a Confederate surgeon officer who lived there and is buried on site. I found a Southern Cross of Honor that belonged to him. See "Today's Finds"

I found this eagle pin thing right next to their front porch at about five inches. I had previously found an 1817 large cent about three feet away at four inches. The eagle's head and wing tips are bent backwards. When I was cleaning the dirt off of the back, I saw a large crack that eventually led to a headless eagle.

Notice the loop of metal on the side and the three shanks on the back. There is one shank on the back of the eagle's head.

What the heck is this thing?

tmi_371.jpg

tmi_372.jpg

tmi_373.jpg

tmi_374.jpg

tmi_375.jpg

Upvote 0

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I believe you may have a Jefferson Davis hat badge. Also known as a Hardee hat badge. Looks like the bottom portion is missing also . Nice find ,,,I've only found 2 of them in over 25 yrs.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Wild I don't know on this one. The attachments don't look right to be a hatpin I don't think The one hook looks more like a buckle or sling hook of some kind. I hope someone can ID this. It's not a Jeff davis hatpiece. A Jeff Davis has rays and above the eagle and this one has cross cannons below the eagle while a JD doesn't. I'm attaching a pic of a JD hatpiece I recently dug

Attachments

• JD hatpiece.jpg
    JD hatpiece.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 397

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Mine doesn't have the hooks but you can see the difference in the hooks in the link that gxray posted The hooks on yours look heavier than the hooks on hatpieces.

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
yes , i just noticed the cross cannons just before you posted , Vanyank...it is probably not a JD hat piece but some other artillary related variety

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
It has some similarities to the Jefferson Davis pin, but I am sure thats not it, too. It is about the same size as another hat pin that I have from a military school. I am sure someone will ID it soon.

Thanks,
V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread