What's new

Need help with an ID for this item?

Jeff In North Georgia

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
544
Reaction score
109
Golden Thread
0
Location
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I found this in the yard of an old home site. It was about 8" deep.
It is ~ 1.5" in diameter, The back is brass, and has a paisley design stamped into it.

On the front are beads around the outside edge, a white enameled area, and the painted lady glass or ceramic in the center.

I'm guessing that it may have been some type of pendant?

Thanks!
Jeff
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0996.webp
    DSCN0996.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCN0997.webp
    DSCN0997.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 442
I don't see how this would be attached to a chain or have a pin. Is there evidence of a place where that might have been?

I would look for a hinge. Seems to me it may open and would have held some type of cosmetic.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Looks typicially late Victorian, look closely for a broken off loop or solder mark?
 
Upvote 0
I agree that it probably opens up. Either cosmetics or medicine would have been inside. I have a few that aren't that ornate though! Could be a gold coin stashed inside so be carefull not to overlook that!!!
 
Upvote 0
tr snyper said:
I agree that it probably opens up. Either cosmetics or medicine would have been inside. I have a few that aren't that ornate though! Could be a gold coin stashed inside so be carefull not to overlook that!!!

More likely a lock of hair ::)
 
Upvote 0
If you tap on the metal back, it sounds hollow. It doesn't rattel if you shake it, so I don't think that there is a coin inside of it. I could not find a place were a loop was soldered on or broken off. Also no hinge along the edge of the back cover. I tried to pry the back off at the seam but it would not open easily and stopped as I thought I might break it.

Jeff
 
Upvote 0
It may not be hinged. It could be a friction fit lid or it could possibly screw on (not likely but possible). My money (if no hinge is evident) is on a friction fit like a lid on a snuff can.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
could it be a snuff or pill box?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom