- Joined
- Nov 23, 2012
- Messages
- 517
- Reaction score
- 1,915
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Southwest Idaho
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 80
Deus II
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
These aren't from a Civil War site, but rather an Indian Wars site. But, I don't see a forum for Indian War so I'm hoping I can get some help here. The whole, damaged cartridge and the casing below it are .50-70 Government for the Springfield trapdoor rifle. Note the flattened nose of the bullet in the damaged round. The bullet on the bottom was found at the same location, but the tip is pointed. The diameter is .51 and the length is .93 (inches). It has a conical base with no internal markings. The rings are cut into the bullet and the bullet mold marks are visible from the tip to the base. I haven't weighed it, but can if that would help. The site I was detecting was active not too long after the Civil War so I'm wondering if the bottom bullet would have been used in a musket. Any help with the ID would be appreciated.
Attachments
Upvote
0
'that the one bullet has been pulled with a worm style puller ' . Is there still dirt in the small hole ? (no big deal just my OCD wondering ), + I wonder if yr other bullets were stepped on or damaged after they were dropped ; as they do not look fired IMO .






