What's new

Need help with coin

mtdewman

Full Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2012
Messages
102
Reaction score
180
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sunbury, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro POinter AT, Bounty Hunter LoneStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hibernia half penny???? Found this a few months back. Same location as multiple largies and half cents. It is bigger than penny but smaller than half cent. This site has produced 2 liberty cap large cents. This is as good as pics get. One side is completely smooth.
 

Attachments

  • 1451352143560.webp
    1451352143560.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 1451352153089.webp
    1451352153089.webp
    73.6 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 2
Looks like a large cent, but it would be worth face value in that shape.
 
It is not a large cent. I have a ton of them.
 
Good find no matter what it is congrats
 
try electrolysis.... I did a large cent that looked like that last week. Ruins the patina but it isnt worth anything anyway. I was able to get a date and other details off of mine.
 
I see Britannia seated facing left. Possibly a KGIII?

Size and weight would be most helpful in IDing it.

DCMatt
 
Given what you say about it's size "smaller than a half cent" is not an early half penny, irish or english.

seeing that it has fairly good square edges, my guess is it's a toasted nickle.

Old coppers that lack any detail, almost always have rounded edges, many to the point of being sharp on the edge.
Check the diameter against a nickle and I think you have your answer.
 
It is not a nickle. :( I guess it is supposed to go in the mystery box.
 
If you're just going to give up on it, give electrolysis a shot. If it's totally smooth it can't get any worse, right? Electrolysis will take the dark patina away but it will more than likely show you some details. It's a simple setup and once you get it going it only takes 5-10 minutes max to complete.
 
I have a tank set up. Maybe I will
 
Perhaps farthing size? Good luck
 
If it is slightly larger than a nickel check the edge for writing you may have a 1793 half cent, they are 22MM diameter vs 21.2 MM for a nickel.
 
Make a rubbing with smooth shiny aluminum foil, this will ring out details that aren't visible on the coin.
 
How about a few photos with the coin rotated slightly at different angles. Sometimes holding the camera at a slightly different angle can bring out some detail. Have you considered it being a 2 cent piece?
 
It looks like a flying eagle cent..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom