What's new

Need help with large key ID

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
1,779
Reaction score
95
Golden Thread
0
Location
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This key is at 4 3/4" long. The handle is 1 3/4" by 1 1/4"
A lady gave it to me at a yard sell.
Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • Snapshot_20110515_3.webp
    Snapshot_20110515_3.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Snapshot_20110515_4.webp
    Snapshot_20110515_4.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 200
Roadquest said:
Yet looking for info. on this key. :coffee2:

I may be wrong, but it may be a very early door key, Spanish in origin.
 
Upvote 0
Having worked in an old jail over a hundred years old at one time I can tell you it is not a jail key. But I think the first answer is pretty accurate. Monty
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Roadquest said:
Yet looking for info. on this key. :coffee2:

I may be wrong, but it may be a very early door key, Spanish in origin.




I did some research, after reading your post. I think you are right....Thanks

I think he nailed it Monty.
 
Upvote 0
I (Locksmith - retired) suggest it is an ornamental key, operating a simple, inside door lock. Probably from about the 1920's to the 1950's. The cuts in the blade are too thin to be of any practicle use. Spanish... I don't think so. Nice looking key, though.

TimC
 
Upvote 0
TimC said:
I (Locksmith - retired) suggest it is an ornamental key, operating a simple, inside door lock. Probably from about the 1920's to the 1950's. The cuts in the blade are too thin to be of any practicle use. Spanish... I don't think so. Nice looking key, though.

TimC

I agree.
It appears to have simple bitting and the inside design is ornamental only.
Probably went to an interior full mortise lock from 1900-1930.

Best,
Scott
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom