Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous videos on the AT PRO.
The videos will help you with the set up and explain some signals.
Try spreading out a few different denominations of coins so you can familiarize yourself with the signals that coin targets will transmit.
Good luck, the PRO is an excellent machine.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when I dig and signal goes away it a dime the color of dirt. If you are getting a lot of signals then back off your sensitivity. While coin mode is pretty good as long as you hear the bell. I like the Pro Custom mode. I rub disc at 29 just to know out foil. I still find rings with it. I use a 5x8 coil also. I am not concerned with depth, but you dont loose much of any depth on real digs. One think you can do is throw a coil and pull tab on ground aaand see what it is doing. Burying targets takes a year or more for accurate depth. Air test just tell you its working.You may need to get a pin pointer also, helps with those targets in the side of the hole.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You adjusted the ground balance first?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or I would get a good signal and dig and not find anything any suggestions or tips for me using the new Garrett at pro

It could be a aluminum beer can that's deeper than you're digging. I find lots of cans 8 to 10 inches down with the AT Pro. Very annoying, since it's usually a good signal.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first tip would be to use the Pro Zero mode.

This will beep at just about every target but iron (if you discriminate it out up to 30-35), but the tones will sound different than standard coin shooting mode.

Coin shooting mode will often give you a false signal (that sweet high tone), if you pass over a target too quickly. The machine hasn't had a chance to read it yet, so it signals high to make you go over it again.

It can still happen in Pro zero, just not as often.

If you are losing targets it could be a ground balance issue, you haven't checked your target two ways, or it's a pull tab. Those suckers for whatever reason jump around.

If you haven't got a handheld pin pointer like the Garrett Carrot, then I strongly suggest getting one. This will cut your frustration level in half when looking for those targets.

Nails in dark dirt can be a bugger, some coins in beach sand can be just as bad. Bobby pins will drive you nuts, but as I said earlier pull tabs will be a biotch.

Some carry a small magnet with them to help find that tiny target that your eyes just don't pick up.

Also practice your target locating with a known object buried in the ground.

Follow this link to how I locate targets off the tip of my detector.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/535837-frustrated-plz-help-2.html#post5350486

Also dig a plug big enough so that you don't scratch your target, but at the same time increases your chance of getting the target in the middle of your plug.

A good target if pinpointed properly should always been in your plug, or just off to the side.

A bad target (pull tabs, some nickels, nails, bobby pins) will often fall just outside of your plug radius.

Don't shy away from pull tabs though, as often times they are the same numbers as gold.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

OP
OP
DigginDave94

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I believe I did the ground balancing right just followed the video and moved coil up and down about 5 inches off ground any tips on ground balancing?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a AT Pro but have used half a dozen different machines and the best way to learn a new one is to head to a sandy kids playground where digging is easy and there are usually at least some coins to be found. If you bring a handful of change with you you can plant them and learn the sounds a good target makes on your machine.

Also, a good pinpointer like the Garrett Propointer will really help you find your targets easier.

OP
OP
DigginDave94

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need Help Balancing Garrett AT Pro???

So I went on my first hunt yesterday and was getting some weird signals not sure if maybe im not ground balancing my at pro right just any tips or advice would be great!

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I believe I did the ground balancing right just followed the video and moved coil up and down about 5 inches off ground any tips on ground balancing?

Your way sounds fine, just quick pumps between 1" and 8" until the ground display stays at the same number. I've noticed my Gold is harder to ground balance than the Land Ranger Pro i'm used to. Its a lot more sensitive and finding a clear spot can be tough. Often the detector will try to ground balance around 40, but I know my local soil is anywhere from 60-82. The Pro and Gold are so sensitive, it can be a pain sometimes to find a truly bare spot of soil. You just have to know your soil and ground balance often if you get erratic or false readings frequently. I also noticed that sometimes I bump a stick or something and I get a false high signal. Usually taking sensitivity down a notch can calm the detector. If you get ground balanced and still can't find the target, its probably getting moved around and very small. Waving clumps of dirt over the coil is cheaper than a pinpointer.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went for my first hunt today with Garrett at PRO and I feel like I was getting a little of high signals but then I would go back over spot and nothing no signals? Or I would get a good signal and dig and not find anything any suggestions or tips for me using the new Garrett at pro
So I went on my first hunt yesterday and was getting some weird signals not sure if maybe im not ground balancing my at pro right just any tips or advice would be great!

metal_detector.gif
You might consider browsing (or asking questions) on SubForum: Brands > Garrett...

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tip would be to first make sure that the area your are tying to ground balance in, doesn't have any targets underneath your coil.

Try and clear a small patch of land up first, and then GB.

Press and HOLD the GB button as you pump the machine up and down several times. You should hear a slight hum as you do the auto GB, and then it will softly get quieter.

If you want to do it manually then press the GB once and let go, then use the notch discrimination to set your own GB.

Often times people will do the auto GB, and then bring it down as much as 8-10 point from that using manual GB.

Are you sure you are not in a heavily infested iron area?

Are you underneath power wires........or hunting near a power plant for that matter?

Do you have a lot of other electronic devices near you or on you that could be causing the problem?

I would power everything off, so out to the middle of a school yard and then see what happens.

If you are still having problems, then it could be a unit issue............but I would be surprised if that was the case.

Let us know how you make out.

OP
OP
DigginDave94

DigginDave94

Apr 15, 2017
Dixon IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its near some fields where i was hunting i think it was a old barn or house structure i found so there might a lot of iron in the ground and all i carry on me is my lesche digger garrett at pro pointer and my cell phone in my pocket

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread