Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these are from northeast Maryland. None larger than about 2.5".

IMG_2945.JPG The first one APPEARS to be made of bad grade of obsidian. There are volcanic outflows within a mile or so of where it was found, but these were ancient volcanos. Obsidian has been found here but not often. Semi transparent on some edges. We get more rhyolite and granites here. ID? The second is a black flint.

IMG_2946.JPG Grey point might be a Brewerton Corner notch. Maybe of Onondaga chert, which is sometimes found here. The one on the right the hard to find Newark Jasper, my first of that material, although I have been to the little park there in Newark, Delaware. Not sure what kind it is though. These mines have been worked since paleo times. Thanks.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Western obsidian from Glass Buttes was transported as far east as Ohio to the Hopewell sites. Maybe some made its way farther east from there. Gary

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get Ohio flint here, so why not? It has been reported, but it's not the extremely glassy type like fresh obsidian is. It quite weathered.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these are from northeast Maryland. None larger than about 2.5".

View attachment 1930737 The first one APPEARS to be made of bad grade of obsidian. There are volcanic outflows within a mile or so of where it was found, but these were ancient volcanos. Obsidian has been found here but not often. Semi transparent on some edges. We get more rhyolite and granites here. ID? The second is a black flint.

View attachment 1930739 Grey point might be a Brewerton Corner notch. Maybe of Onondaga chert, which is sometimes found here. The one on the right the hard to find Newark Jasper, my first of that material, although I have been to the little park there in Newark, Delaware. Not sure what kind it is though. These mines have been worked since paleo times. Thanks.

Bullhead...very poor quality

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haven't heard the term 'bullhead' before???

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest that the black one on the top left is in the "Hellgrammite" type or timeframe, and the black on the right also a late Archaic type, probably the local "Lamoka" equivalent with that base configuration. The nice red tipped jasper point on the bottom right looks to be our local "Meadowood" type. I haven't heard of obsidian being found in our area, so I would guess they are some of the local black cherts or flint?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread