Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet most of you were smart not to go out in 93 degree heat today, hence the self name calling. It was a short trip but the river was WAY down, and I have found some nice stuff when that happens.

IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2932.JPG

And its still too hot to put them in order. here. Nap time may be imminent. The tan point is about 2.5" long. The site has everything from Paleo to contact period on it. Any ideas? Found in northern Maryland.

The dark point has a LOT of flakes taken off the base. No damage, and you can still see some of the original cortex on it. It is smaller at about 1.5" Ideas on the type? Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those look pretty old to me. The thinning strikes on the black one are reminiscent of the way Scottsbluff bases are thinned. Congrats.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look old to me too, I’d say worth braving the heat, speaking of dumb things, I just caught myself trying to blow the hair off the point in the second picture

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO, not hair or fibers. Cortex.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The tan one we (we being amateurs , but had one looked at by someone....) call a similar one an atlatl's dart's point.
Going from weak recollection but seems it was 2-3 thousand years old.(?)

Last edited:

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't feel bad, I go a few times in heat like that as well (seems like it gets fewer and fewer each year). I went the last weekend and got sunburned on my neck and arms, the blistering kind.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey. Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries..I also want to check some creeks when the water levels get lower.it will be a learning experience for me and hope I won’t slip on the rocks

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is right below a major dam, and if you hear the sirens you better haul yourself out of there.

I went to projectilepoints.net and found something called a Cactus Hill point, one they are working on the typology now. It is classified as a lanceolate type, and the base is straight to slightly concave and thinned with small flake removal on the base by pressure flaking. It is pre-Paleo. The type point has been found in Virginia, about 200 miles away.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice & I'll vote Paleo but no clue as to types. You want heat come see us in Florida. Getting seriously warm down here now.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent! 4 in a day? I still have just ONE on my bucket list!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's two this trip out. That's just how the pics loaded here. Last year I got 4 in a day. I'd have to check the date. The place yesterday is just plain "creepy".

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
From its good quality material, size/shape and workmanship, the smaller one is very likely an early woodland pentagonal (memory glitch retrieving proprr not ame; in Ohio, Intrusive Mound I think).

FWIW

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From its good quality material, size/shape and workmanship, the smaller one is very likely an early woodland pentagonal (memory glitch retrieving proprr not ame; in Ohio, Intrusive Mound I think).

FWIW

Intrusive Mound is corner notched I believe Mr. Bill. Maybe Jacks Reef. Check out next to last example in the first row. Flaking looks very similar to smokey's find.

Jacks Reef Pentagonal Projectile Point

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little one is not corner notched. There are "flutes" on both sides of it.

Edgychris1

Mar 13, 2021
South East New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little one is not corner notched. There are "flutes" on both sides of it.

Still I beginner, I'm realizing that not every paleo peice is classified by the Clovis looking base. Different style bases have been popping up on this forum that have entirely different traits and to understand correctly, paleo.

This whole classification thing has so much too it its unbelievable. Tiny little details that make a world of difference.

Once again, amazing peices. Love that black shiny material.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Question. Does the basal flaking on both sides jive with a Jack's Reef?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread