What's new

Need help with ring maker

Dirtfan

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
54
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7
I am trying to find the maker and gold content of this ring. The stamp inside says, California Gold. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0236.webp
    100_0236.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 419
Any other marks? Nothing showing the karat grade?

I am NOT a jewelry expert by any means, but the "California Gold" stamp only leads me to believe it may be tourist jewelry and plated.

Any more pics?

Grip
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Drgrip. Here are more pics. No other marks of any kind. I just put a deep scratch on the inside and didn't cut through. Under a glass it shows a lot of hard wear.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0242.webp
    100_0242.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 100_0245.webp
    100_0245.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 100_0240.webp
    100_0240.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
It looks like gold but cant really tell by a pic.

Theres a prospector in Calif. that makes jewelry out of his upstream finds. I think he calls his homemade jewelry "California Gold". :dontknow: Just a thought. :dontknow:

The seal ring or engraved shield looks like turn-of-the-century style .
 
Upvote 0
Thanks BC. Thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Mabe someone can fill in the blanks. If not it goes in the melt bag.
 
Upvote 0
Hi,

I hope that a couple of bucks that you might make out of that ring by melting it buy you some bread. The ring does not seem to be of high caratage. You might make more money by selling it on e-bay to those who love history as antique turn-of-the-century item.
 
Upvote 0
I'm not sure about the caratage, ( is that a word?), but it looks worn very thin that would indicate it is fairly soft . My Mom had a 24k wedding band and it wore completely in two after about 30 years. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Not a match but here you can see the ring similarities in my 1909 catalog.
 

Attachments

  • rings seal gold shield.webp
    rings seal gold shield.webp
    59.4 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0
Outstanding responses people! Thanks.
Tutatara thats why I posted it here. I would hate to destroy a piece of history for a few bucks that I don't need. I'll give it to my wife for ebay or put it away for the grandkids. Now off to research the great links given to me!
 
Upvote 0
It looks like I see a green accent. Does your ring also have colors like the worthpoint tricolor signet ring?
 
Upvote 0
Yes, BC, same colors, Green, rose and gold.
 
Upvote 0
Dirtfan said:
Yes, BC, same colors, Green, rose and gold.
I searched for the original eBay ad for more pics and more information but I couldnt find it. Its probably too old (2007) It's definitely made by the same company. Good research by IronSpike as usual. I hope we can find out more on this beautiful antique signet ring..
 
Upvote 0
Tutatara thats why I posted it here. I would hate to destroy a piece of history for a few bucks that I don't need. I'll give it to my wife for ebay or put it away for the grandkids.
:icon_thumleft: It will make a nice heirloom for your grandkids.
 
Upvote 0
Black Hills gold from South Dakota?
 
Upvote 0
Sorry for the late response.
Ironspike nailed it. I had no idea it is an antique ring, that just adds to the beauty. Thanks to everone it will be put up for the grandkids. Solved.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom