Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this belongs here but the owner thinks it's a native American piece.

See attached photos. It has a notch on one end, and appears to be made of antler. 20191208_114125.jpg20191208_114121.jpg20191208_114117.jpg20191208_114104.jpg

Upvote 0
It looks like it's made of a bovine horn rather than antler--bison maybe. Powder horn? I do not know what it is.

Edit: another observation... that notch looks rather fresh compared to the rest of the piece. Also, what appears to be a plug in the fat end. Correct?

Last edited:
It looks like it's made of a bovine horn rather than antler--bison maybe. Powder horn? I do not know what it is.

Edit: another observation... that notch looks rather fresh compared to the rest of the piece. Also, what appears to be a plug in the fat end. Correct?
Thanks for the post, yeah there is some kind of pin that goes in but doesn't go all the way through.

It looks like a bow nock to me, with part of the bow stave remaining. I shoot an English longbow and it has horn nocks on both ends. I'm wondering if an early American had the same idea and reinforced his bow?

-- Guy

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 39
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 39

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back