What's new

Need ID help !

deanv63

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
271
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Quincy Illinois
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
I found these items yesterday, never seen a full horse shoe before, or if this is one or not. It sure look like one, any help would be great. Plus this axe too, how old are they, and what kind of axe is it. Thank you! deanv63!
 

Attachments

  • Todays find! 005.webp
    Todays find! 005.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Todays find! 006.webp
    Todays find! 006.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Todays find! 007.webp
    Todays find! 007.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Todays find! 008.webp
    Todays find! 008.webp
    35 KB · Views: 246
  • Todays find! 009.webp
    Todays find! 009.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 256
Don't know how old the horse shoe is, but it is a corrective shoe used when the horse needs heel support.
I think it is called a bar shoe.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Don't know how old the horse shoe is, but it is a corrective shoe used when the horse needs heel support.
I think it is called a bar shoe.

Yep! :thumbsup:

I cant give ya an exact date on your hatchet but it is a Shinglers hatchet
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Don't know how old the horse shoe is, but it is a corrective shoe used when the horse needs heel support.
I think it is called a bar shoe.

Creskol, Exactamondo on it being a corrective shoe! :thumbsup: Nice finds, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
The hatchet looks just like one that I have dug. I believe it's a carpenters hatchet. One end for cutting and one end for hammering and you could use the v-shaped notch for pulling nails. Mine was found on a site that dates from early to mid 1800's. Nice find.

-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • finds_hatchett.webp
    finds_hatchett.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 183
  • finds_hatchett.webp
    finds_hatchett.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0
VERY OLD!! I have a closed shoe I found last week early 1700s The axe head is of the same period if not earlier. REALLY NICE FINDS!!!!!!! Keep digging that gravy. good luck and keep digging KRAZYHORSES
 

Attachments

  • MVC-041S (2).webp
    MVC-041S (2).webp
    43 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0
Yea,I wouldnt give either one that early of a date.There is nearly no way to date a horse shoe,heck they are still using the same methods today they did back then(although pre form blank shoes are the norm)they still use the same corrective shoe when you have a steed with a split hoof.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom