What's new

Need Info On This Lock Company

RPG

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Looks like it says D M & CE on the cover. I can't find anything on that but I can find locks with the same mark and they are said to be made by D M Co lock company. The only info I can find on the D M & Co is that they were bought out by M W & Co around 1865. I hope someone can find more info about them so I can get a date range for this lock. Thanks for the help.
Randy
 

Attachments

  • dmco1.webp
    dmco1.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 545
  • dmco2.webp
    dmco2.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 471
Looks like a railroad lock.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
I was thinking railroad switch lock myself because they all had the covered key hole. But I don't see anything to put it near a rail line? Where did you find it, not exact location, but rail yard, back of old house, etc.? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I was thinking railroad switch lock myself because they all had the covered key hole. But I don't see anything to put it near a rail line? Where did you find it, not exact location, but rail yard, back of old house, etc.? Monty

It was found a long way from the closest railroad. An old house place way back in the woods. Not even any roads going near it. A hunter found the well and told me about it.
Randy
 
Upvote 0
Davenport, Mallory & Co., New Haven, CT, c. 1861-64. There are three company name versions which include the names of both Davenport and Mallory:

Davenport & Mallory Co., 1852-57
Davenport, Mallory & Lockwood, 1858-60
Davenport, Mallory & Co., 1861-64
 
Upvote 0
NHbenz said:
I think you're right with the D.M. direction. I think it could well read D.M. & C°. Check out this one that was posted previously:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=219319.0

Thanks NHbenz...the info from that link tells me this lock predates 1864. Looks like Davenport died in 1864 and the company was bought out.
Randy
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Davenport, Mallory & Co., New Haven, CT, c. 1861-64.

Thanks PBK. This is surprising information. Tells me that the people that lived at the old house place were there for a long time. I have found a good number of relics there but not as many as I think I should have. I find a lot of round nails there as well as square ones. There is a lot of iron ore in the soil. Not just small stuff but big as well. The chimney was built of large iron ore rocks that were found at the site. Do you think this could mask some of the good targets?
Randy
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom