Need Input Fisher 1280-x or Tesoro Tiger-Shark

BerryPickins

Mar 21, 2008
Hey all.

I am in the market for a Freshwater detector and kinda narrowed it down to either the Fisher 1280-X or the Tesoro Tiger-Shark
They are both in the same price range.

I would like to hear opinions on both of them.

It will be for Freshwater Hunting (small chains and rings) and maybe Saltwater once everyother year.

Pro's and Con's?

I'm leaning towards the Tesoro for the lifetime service. But 5 years on the 1280-X isn't too bad.

But without being able to test drive the two, I have to go by opinions / recomendations and reviews.

I don't even have any dealers within a 200 mile drive.
And after watching this fourm for awhile this is the place to get only the best advice!

Thanks in advance for all the help...

Berry Pickins
Lost in Ohio!

Upvote 0

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
BerryPickins,

One thing I can say with confidence is that the TS loves gold. My TS will give a solid signal on the tiniest gold earring backs small lengths of chain etc. I hunt for hours with my TS and never touch a control. The detector could not be any more easier to use in the water. Take a look at my hip mount rig I use myself and sell on ebay. The link is right here at the bottom of this message block. Joe

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
I dont know about the 1280X but the Tiger Shark is great in FRESH water. I have even found a few small chains with mine, along with rings, ear rings etc. It has great battery life, interchangable coils (I have the 8 and the 10 for mine), and can be hip mounted to take weight off of your arm. You also said " and maybe Saltwater once everyother year " leave it at home... It isn't a salt water machine. Mine was a horrible failure in salt water, it wouldn't pick up a quarter underwater if I was waiving it 3" off of the coil. Beach targets are usually much deeper. I waisted at least 7 hours a day for a week, and have 3 crusty pennies to show for it. Use the Tiger in the fresh, and go fishing on your vacation....
HH
Joe

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I'll give you my 2 cents. I don't know about the tiger shark, but I've found as many as 13 gold rings in one day with the 1280-X. I swear by my unit. But alas, I don't get the small chains, unless I'm not going over them. I use the 10½" coil. Goes really deep. Oh yeah, and those were found in Lake Erie. Good luck.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

I have the 1280X with the 8 inch coil and I love mine, I got it in '03 but only started using it in Nov. '07. It's a great all around machine. You can belt or hip mount it, I use mine shaft mounted. It's built like a tank, the batteries last forever. Very easy to pinpoint with and it goes deep, great discrimination. I sent it in to be looked at in January got it back, had to be sent in again and just got it back but between Nov. and Jan. I found 2 rings, one silver and one 14K gold. The silver in a park and the gold at a beach. Both places get hit pretty hard.
Good luck,
Glenn

Attachments

• 1st gold ring on edge.jpg
    1st gold ring on edge.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 228
  • ring#1.jpg
    ring#1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 1st gold ring on edge.jpg
    1st gold ring on edge.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 224

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have never used a T-S, but the 1280 is a fine machine. I found lots of gold and silver rings very deep with this machine. I even hunted in the salt water with no appreciable loss of depth. I never found a gold chain, but did find gold earrings with the machine. It's built like a tank and withstands alot of abuse. I never had any problems that it needed to be sent back to the factory. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

BerryPickins

Mar 21, 2008
Thanks guys... for taking the time to reply!

This type of feedback is very valueable.

After reading many pages of posts here on tnet about both machines, I still have a heck of a choice to make.

I did find out the Fisher now only has a 2-year warranty, When you open the 1280X spec sheet on the Fisher webpage the 2 year warranty pops up, Then disappears. If you left click your mouse in the open area next to the pictue of the headphones, there is a text box that they
blocked out that had the 2 year warranty information.

But warranty is not as important as Quality and Sensitivity.

I will be using the detector in Lake Erie and a few inland lakes and streams. I have used a DFX on dry land for many years
it time to get in the water!

Thanks again for all the input guys and gals...

Now..how about coil size? same reason for dry land? does a bigger water coil make it harder to control in the water?

Berry Pickins
Lost in Ohio (Erie Shores)

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
BerryPickins,

Take your time and you will figure out which machine will do the job for you. Sticking with the name brands is the key. I assume you know that Fisher was bought out by First Texas Products?
Larger coils are basically harder to use than a small coil. If you are just starting out in the water, never having hunted that way ,I suggest you go with a standard 8" or 9" +- coil size. You have enough to learn without dealing with a larger coil. I use a 3.5" X 18" on the TS and also a 8". If I can help you with your purchase send me a PM. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread